Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ We're so Happpppyyyyy!!!!


What a fantastic week we have had! Eli and Brynne completed their 4th year of homeschooling on Tuesday. We have completed our required 1000 hours for the 2013-2014 school year and are now on summer break. We will start our new school year on June 2nd. Additionally, there are a lot of exciting things going on in our family and there is a lot of happiness going on!

The Past Week in our Regular Life

I mentioned in a recent post that Kyndal will be graduating from cosmetology school in September and that she and Collin are excited to start their lives together. This week Collin put in an offer on a small house in our hometown and it was accepted! There are a lot of "ifs" going on with how it will all work out, but we are just trusting God to work out the details if it is in His will that he purchase this house.


And after two years of Rick and the rest of our family living in two separate states, there looks to finally be an end to that arrangement! Rick was offered a job this week with a previous employer. They offered him the amount of salary and vacation he wanted and agreed to a remote employment situation which would allow him to work from our home in Missouri! We aren't sure exactly how that will all work out, but there is light at the end of the tunnel and we are so thankful!

The Schooling Basics

This week we just finished up some things, mostly math. We completed Math-U-See Gamma, moved forward with CTC Math and division, and did more simplifying fractions. The rest of our time was spent reading and working on our literature unit studies. Once we logged the 1000th hour, we shut the books!

The Schooling Fun Stuff

I posted all about our lessons associated with The Raft by Robert Trumbull in my Poppins Book Nook post.

We also completed the remainder of the activities in our unit study of The Courage of Sarah Noble. I will be posting all about those in my upcoming review of Progeny Press.

The Kitchen

It was the end of the month this week so we did a little scrounging for meals. We had manicotti, french toast, and Little Caesar's $5 pizzas. After I went to the store on Thursday we had a rotisserie chicken with rice and broccoli. Rick isn't home this weekend so we will have some easy kid-friendly meals.

The Days Ahead

I am currently working on a project called 20 in '14. For the first 14 days of May I am going to do 20 projects around the house. This includes some home improvement, organization and LOTS of purging! I will be posting more about that next week.

Tomorrow I am the "guest" speaker at my church's annual Mother-Daughter Banquet. I will be speaking about Lessons from a Cucumber Plant. My ladies church group is also in charge of the table decorations so I will be working on those tonight and tomorrow.

The Books We are Reading

Mom: The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, Living So That by Wendy Blight.

Brynne: A Surprise for Lily by Mary Ann Kinsinger and Suzanne Woods Fisher.

Eli: Big Nate: Goes for Broke by Lincoln Peirce.

Read Aloud:  The Raft by Robert Trumbull, The Courage of Sarah Noble by Alice Dalgliesh (finished).

The People and the Places

I posted about the state youth bowling tournament last week. Well, as of right now, going into the last weekend of state tournaments, the little Cobras below are in 1ST PLACE in the State of Missouri in their division!!! Not only that, but Eli is in 3rd place and Brynne is in 20th place in singles. That is out of 77 kids! We are absolutely ecstatic at how well our kiddos have done! We are keeping our fingers crossed that they will maintain their place standings!


Yesterday the kids and I went to the USCBHA National Cattledog Finals. We had watched cattle dog trials at the fair a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun. The dogs were really fun to watch! A handler even asked us if we would like to spend some time playing with and walking a puppy who needed some attention. We spent about an hour with Mack. We were in love!!!


The Savings Jar(s)

I put $3.94 in the change jar this week.

The Bible in a Year

I have read through 1 Kings 11.

The Favorite Things

Life is treating the Taulmans pretty darned good. We have had a tough few years but feel like we are now on the upswing. I give God all the glory for bringing us through the storms to the warmth of sunnier days.

Brynne has finally decided that she wants her own room. In Oklahoma we had a five bedroom house and all the kids had their own rooms, but she always wanted to share with Eli. When we moved to Missouri we downsized to three small bedrooms which had Eli and Brynne still sharing a room. Our basement cannot really be finished because of some moisture, but it is livable. So, we took a very small room that had been built by previous inhabitants (I won't even tell you what we think what might have been going on in that room), painted the walls and concrete floors, and turned it into a bedroom for Brynne. My mom and I finished it on Thursday and she spent her first night there. It needs a new rug and some new lighting, but otherwise it's perfect for her and she is thrilled.


Linking up





Comments

  1. Yay, Yay, and YAY! Lots of exciting stuff and I know how that traveling back-and-forth can take it's toll. So excited for you on all accounts. Glad you are coming out of the storm. It feels so refreshing, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many exciting things are happening for your family right now! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a