Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ REALLY Relaxing


We just completed our third week of summer break. That means we only have one week left (sniff, sniff)! So what does summer break look like to us?

The Past Week in our Regular Life

I wish my husband could have been here to see me this week. Even when I say I am on break or vacation or going to relax, I rarely do. I find so much to fill my time. There are things that I should be doing right now … I still have lots of purging and organizing to do. But, I actually spent a couple of days really relaxing this week, laying on the couch getting caught up on some t.v. and reading while the kids played in their p.j.'s most of the day. Now, I have to give some of the credit to the allergy-laden headache I had for those two days. But it was still relaxing, no matter the reason! It felt good.

The Schooling Basics

Tick .. tick … tick …. tick …..

That is the sound of the clock ticking down the days we have until we are back to some schooling basics. We are trying to ignore that sound.

The Schooling Fun Stuff

More gardening class this week. The kids planted several of the raised beds with tomatoes, broccoli, brussel sprouts, carrots, okra, peppers, lettuce and spinach, and watermelons. Keeping the beds watered in an area where there is no water source is going to be a challenge. We are going to have to transport water up there every day. We are certainly hoping for some rain! And we have been lucky and have had some the last two nights.

The Kitchen

More family favorites this week … manicotti, taquitos and rice, and 50 cent corn dogs from Sonic! Then my neighbor gave me a bag of crappie and we grilled it with some cheesy mushroom pasta.

The Days Ahead

Brynne had a softball game last night. It was an exciting game and they won … their first! Brynne got the final out by scooping up the hit at the pitcher's mound and throwing the girl out at first. She also got a good hit and pitched awesome! Rick and I had so much fun watching her!

This weekend is Memorial weekend. Rick and I have some projects planned around the house. Hopefully laziness won't get the best of us (so far it has). Kyndal and Collin went to the lake with my parents for the weekend and Dawson is working this morning and then going camping with a friend.

We will be soaking in this last week with Kyndal before she and Collin move to their new house next Friday. It's not like I won't see her everyday .. she is only moving a few blocks away and I will be babysitting Chloe, my grand dog, everyday while Kyndal goes to school. And, likely, I'll be feeding her every night because Collin has a new job that will keep him away from home until later at night. But it will still be strange to not have her here all the time, especially in the mornings while she is getting ready for school.

The Books We are Reading

Mom: A Woman's Place by Lynn Austin, Living So That by Wendy Blight.

Brynne: A Surprise for Lily by Mary Ann Kinsinger and Suzanne Woods Fisher (on break from reading).

Eli: Big Nate: Goes for Broke by Lincoln Peirce (on break from reading).

Read Aloud:  The Raft by Robert Trumbull (on break from reading).

The People and the Places

Court went great on Tuesday. But, unfortunately, it's still not over. We only got through about half of the testimony so are on recess until another date can be found, and that won't be until at least late-June. Sigh. Oh well, God's timing is perfect so I am just trusting Him to conclude this thing when He sees fit. It will be over eventually and my kids will get support, so I am not worried. I actually enjoyed spending the day with my dad and Kyndal.

The Savings Jar(s)

I put $1.73 in the change jar this week.

The Bible in a Year

I have read through Isaiah 48. Love how God's prophecies of 2,000 years ago still speak true for today.

The Favorite Things

A rainy and cool Saturday … watching movies, making the best carrot cake ever, lounging in comfy clothes, reading, fixing a good dinner, and enjoying a glass of wine. Even doing some laundry doesn't wreck the mood. We are hoping to watch the full first season of Bomb Girls tonight on Netflix.

Being so busy enjoying life that I don't even take time out to take any pictures. I am learning to really live in the moment … loving life instead of blogging so much about it.

Linking up





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a