Skip to main content

Greatness


This has been a crazy, whirlwind of a weekend! On Saturday night we had Kyndal's bachelorette party and yesterday Dawson graduated from high school. Since Kyndal is getting married on Friday and my focus will be shifted to her, I'm going to post out-of-order on the weekend's events and dedicate this post exclusively to Dawson's graduation. We'll get to Kyndal's bachelorette party later.

Dawson.


He is now a high school graduate. It is so bittersweet because he so badly just wanted to get out of school that seeing him finally be done with it was not really emotional. It was just exciting! He has started his future plans and was ready to get that monkey off his back. And now it is.

We had a great day!

Here is a photo montage of the ceremony. I am going to share everything, because if you know Dawson at all (and many of you don't), you will know that he does things the "Dawson Way". This makes him extra special and just makes me so happy and entertained.

He was a tad bored and ready for the after party!

Perhaps one of my favorites ...

We got this text after the graduates went out in the hall to line
up to receive their diplomas. I would not have expected anything
different from him ...

He got back in line in time to actually receive his diploma.

We went home to take our photos because it was so crowded at the school.


Eli wore his Spiderman shirt to represent.


We are proud parents!



Had to have a photo with his very best friend.



And then it was time to party! Again, Dawson style. He was very clear that he DID NOT want any kind of party, reception, etc., for his graduation! He wanted to go to Pizza Hut. And he didn't want hardly anybody invited. He wanted our family, my mom, and Taylar's family. So that's what we did. We had a great time eating LOTS of pizza and cupcakes and watching Dawson open his gifts. At last he could relax and just enjoy his accomplishments!





This is one amazing young man. 


He spent last night at a friend's house playing video games. They are a great group of guys.

He will be working three days a week this summer and next fall at an antique store where he is in charge of online advertisement and sales. He will start college in August taking 12 credit hours. He is undecided as to his major at this time so is taking general ed and elective courses (comp, math, history). He will be living at home for the next 4-5 years until he finishes school. I am pretty happy to have him around for a bit longer.

I am so proud of him, his character and his drive. I couldn't be more honored to be his mother.

Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words: "With great power comes great responsibility." ~ Peter Parker, Spiderman



Comments

  1. Congratulations to Dawson and his sweet Mama. I remember joining you on this journey when you started homeschooling him in. (was it 8th grade?) You've come a long way. What an amazing young man. You have every reason to be proud. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Dawson!
    I started following you years ago, and I can't believe how quickly they grew up!
    I'm sure you are one proud mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started following your blog when you began your homeschooling journey with Dawson- and have used your American History plans that Dawson followed. It is wonderful to seem him finish up and be ready to move on!! Congratulations to Dawson!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to Dawson! Great accomplishment for you both, Nicole! Praying all the best for him for his job and college journey.
    And a wedding on Friday!?!?! How super exciting! Blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...