Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge



When is your next big deadline? What's it for?

Lots of financial deadlines for Kyndal's upcoming wedding! Need to transfer the funds to the Cozumel coordinator for the destination wedding, then the photographer, the reception hall, d.j., etc., for the reception coming up in July.

May is National Barbecue Month. Do you prefer cooking indoors our out? What's the best thing about a barbecue? What's the last thing you cooked on an outdoor grill?

I'd rather cook indoors .. no bugs. I am not the best at grilling. The best part about a barbecue is the pasta salad that goes with it. I love a good pasta salad. I usually only grill burgers, chicken, hot dogs, or pork chops on the grill. I haven't done any grilling yet this year.

What is one thing on your "never again" list?

I have learned in my life to never say never. If there was one thing I hope to never do again, it would be to be out of shape and overweight, even as much as I was just 6 months ago. I am at my best when I am working out to the level I am right now and eating as healthy as I am. It's not really about the pounds on the scale, although consistently being in the 120's sure is nice. It is all about the way I feel, and I feel great! I hope to stay devoted to my health forever.

What's something that annoys you about people your own age? Something you love about your generation?

Facebook. Oh, dear me, quit acting like a 13 year old!! I'm having a hard time coming up with something I like about my generation. We've gotten pretty fat and lazy, huh? I guess if I had to choose something it would be that many women of my generation are realizing the lie of the feminist movement and have come back home to take care of their families and homes.

Lilac, iris, hyacinth, pansy ... your favorite purple flower?

Yesterday I picked a couple of purple irises from an abandoned house near ours. They smell like a grape candle, so fragrant! I don't want irises growing in my yard because they quickly get out of hand, but they are pretty cut and in a vase (or in my case, a glass).



What's a song that always calms you down?

East to West by Casting Crowns. Making mistakes is a part of life and happens even when you try not to make them. It's easy to get down on myself when I do those things that I don't want to do and don't do those things that I do. This song reminds me that God loves me and continually forgives me and casts my sins as far as the east is from the west.

What's the last thing you donated?

Last week Brynne's Girls on the Run program had a rummage and bake sale to raise money for a teacher who has had major surgery. I donated some baked goods and several items to the rummage sale, including two bikes and a desk.

Insert your own random thought here.

Today is my little boy's last day of high school. I am so immensely proud of the young man this little turd has become. Take heart moms of ornery boys ... they grow up to be your biggest fan, even if they don't ever stop being ornery. He graduates on Sunday. I am so proud of the young man he is and am excited for the next chapters of his life.


Comments

  1. Sounds like you've got a pretty busy time between now and July - a graduation AND a wedding! I'll have to look up the Casting Crowns song. I've not heard it before. P.S. Your kids are SO pretty! (handsome, cute)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, my boy just finished high school too! Such a bitter sweet moment... *sigh*
    and I love Casting Crowns! and ditto on the generation thing and amen to that!
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a