Skip to main content

The Simple Woman's Daybook




For today ... Thursday, May 14, 2015

Outside my window ... my grass and newly planted flowers are getting a nice drink.

I am thinking ... about the gifts I need to buy for Sunday's graduates.

I am thankful ... for a rainy day with nowhere to go and nothing to do, especially since Eli and I both have contracted a cold virus. It's just a good day to rest up.

I am wearing ... black yoga pants, a Missouri Tigers long-sleeved hooded t-shirt, black Fila running shoes.

I am creating ... organized and streamlined closets and dresser drawers. I only have Brynne's left to do, and may work on it today.

I am going ... to have the craziest weekend with Brynne's softball game on Friday night, Kyndal's bachelorette party on Saturday evening, and Dawson's graduation on Sunday.

I am wondering ... who will actually show up to Dawson's graduation on Sunday.

I am reading ... Serena by Ron Rash.

I am hoping ... that Brynne's softball game doesn't get rained out on Friday because it's the only game Rick gets to go to this season.

I am learning ... that staying on top of my housework and not letting there be piles of "stuff" makes life so much easier. Just put it away when you are done with it and then you don't have to worry about it again.

In my garden ... I seriously need to get things planted, especially my tomatoes!

In my kitchen ... was the most amazing crock pot bbq pork roast last night. We shredded it into sandwiches with homemade scalloped potatoes. It was so good! And there are leftovers for bbq cheddar wraps this weekend.

In the homeschool room ... the kids should be reading, but they are on their May break and are just enjoying their time off instead.

A favorite quote for today ...

This is especially a favorite as Dawson graduates from high school this weekend and Kyndal gets married next weekend. Doing this will release them from so much pressure and eventual pain.



A peek into one of my days ...

We enjoyed a field trip to the Missouri State Capitol building last Friday while we were in Jefferson City for the state bowling tournament.





We were even able to incorporate our Prairie Primer
studies into it with a look at the bronze bust of
Laura Ingalls Wilder in the Hall of Famous
Missourians. I loved that the kids inquired of the
tour guide whether Ms. Wilder was in the hall.

One of my favorite things ... is sitting on the porch swing watching the kids all play frisbee across the street in the vacant lot. They do this almost every evening.



From the board room ... I've been on Pinterest looking at ideas for my decorations for Kyndal's bachelorette party this Saturday. I can't share it, though, cause it's a surprise!

Post Script ... I read a lot of great blog posts on MyFitnessPal. This one is about why it's a good idea to track your calories, even if you are not completely accurate. I agree with all of the stated reasons, and it's ultimately why I do it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...