Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge




What's on your September calendar? Anything fun?

For a paper Dawson has to write in his history class, we are going to go on a field trip to Bothwell Lodge in Sedalia, Missouri. It will actually tie in nicely with our own studies of the Chronicles of Narnia because the house was built in the same time period as the books and the house reminds me of where the kids would have gone to live during the war, where they found the wardrobe. I love a historical field trip, and this one is in our backyard.

You might be described as a natural born _________________.

Teacher. Everything I do involves teaching, whether it's teaching my own kids, teaching other kids in enrichment environments, or teaching Sunday school. I never can seem to shut off my teacher brain.

September is National Courtesy Month ... what one act of courtesy would you most like to see more of in your home, town, or the world at large?

In Sunday school we have been studying the premise of "Never try to be first in line." I think we could benefit from that at home, in all of our towns, and definitely the world at large.

Eager beaver, chicken out, clam up, or let the cat out of the bag ... of the phrases listed, which one have you related to most recently?

I guess an eager beaver as I have been very much on the ball with getting us ready to start our school year, with getting Rick set up at home to work, and with my dietary goals.

What's your movie theatre snack protocol? Do you chow down on snacks during the previews or wait until the movie begins? Do you buy snacks or refuse to pay those kinds of prices? What's the last movie you saw in a theatre? How many thumbs up would you give it?

Okay, we totally "break the law" when it comes to theatre snacks. We stop at Walmart or Dollar General and buy our snacks and drinks and then carry them in a large purse. We wait to open everything until the movie is started because we don't want to get busted. (Yes, this is a horrible thing to teach our kids. Yes, I feel guilty about it at times. No, I doubt we will stop doing it.) The last movie we saw at the theatre was Pixels. Strangely, I loved it! And I hate Adam Sandler movies. It was pretty epic. However, I was a kid in the '80s and the music and classic video games were rad!

Henry Ford is quoted as saying, "Nobody can think straight who does not work. Idleness warps the mind." Agree or disagree? Why?

I guess I would agree that the mind can turn to mush if it isn't used to its potential. If you ever spend any time in a nursing home, I think that is pretty evident. I know my grandma was one sharp tack. But once she began residing in the nursing home, the lack of stimulation just dulled her to where it was hard to even carry on a conversation with her anymore. I don't know that you have to be up performing physical labor, but I can see where working the mind would be necessary to stay sharp.

What's the last job you completed or task you performed where you had to 'work like a dog' until it was finished?

I can't say I had to 'work like a dog' to get our basement purge completed, but my mom and I did work hard. The last time I probably 'worked like a dog' to complete something by a deadline was Kyndal's wedding reception decorating. Since we pretty much did it ourselves, just a few of us, we were working right up until the guests arrived.

Insert your own random thought here.

We received some awesome news this week! Our daughter Kyndal and son-in-law Collin are expecting our first grandbaby! We are very happy and cannot wait to meet our little bundle of joy next May. Kyndal had an ultrasound yesterday morning to check on a couple of concerns, but everything looked great! Mama is feeling really good so far! Please pray for her and the continued growth and development of their sweet baby.



Comments

  1. Great news about your daughter -- I know you can't wait for May! I'm 54 years old and my step-dad always made us sneak in snacks to the movies, but I never do. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that GOOD Doctors appt was a baby! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Congrats on the baby. Looking forward to hearing all about it.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a