Skip to main content

Si Senorita!

In the 6th grade Dawson took Spanish from a teacher he absolutely loved! He loved her personality and her style and he retained a lot from her class.

Since Dawson has a continued interest in the Spanish language, I immediately turned to Senorita Johnston for help. Not knowing anything about Spanish, I didn't want to spend a ton on a curriculum that might or might not be a good fit. And, I knew that Dawson loved her teaching style.

Senorita Johnston was so sweet and helpful! She recommended some curriculums I could purchase and then told me that she would be more than willing to loan us some materials.

Last Friday we picked up those materials.


They included a textbook (that she would like to have back at the end of the year), two workbooks that we can use and keep, and a VHS tape (the first of many in a series) and its' companion booklet. She said when we are done with this tape to return it for the next one. She even threw in a piece of candy for Dawson. How sweet is she?

She also told us that she is trying to set up a Facebook Group to notify her students (including Dawson) of upcoming cultural events, field trips, etc.

The one thing she said, though, that really impressed me was this: She told me that she would give us passwords to school district websites if she could. She said, "You still pay taxes to fund these schools. You're just doing the homeschooling thing. You should get to utilize the materials."

Don't we wish the whole district would be that helpful?

I looked at the material {briefly} and am certain I am over my head. The textbook is in Spanish for goodness sake! But, we are going to give it a go and see where we end up. She said that a lot of the material would be a review for him anyway. So hopefully he knows enough to get himself through the textbook and not require much from me.

Thank you Senorita Johnston.

I even told Dawson that I would like for him to start calling me Senorita Mom. It just has a good ring to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...