Skip to main content

Sometimes Plans Just Change

For those of you veteran homeschooling moms, I imagine you know this all too well. Me, however, I have a lesson plan. And I like to complete it!

But, sometimes you just have to put away what's not important. And yesterday was one of those days.

Yes, we worked on projects when we could, and Algebra got done. But, all of the miscellaneous Language Arts assignments and stuff were ditched to make sure we were taking care of him ...


He was very sick yesterday. After $320, we still are not sure what is wrong with him other than he has been not been able to keep any food or liquid down. He was lathargic. He went to the vet and had blood work done and x-rays looking for obstructions and i.v. fluids and an antibiotic shot and an anti-nausea injection. They went ahead and let us bring him home to rest, but we are going to have to watch him carefully to see if he's able to keep any food or drink down. If he's not, then back to the vet he goes.

We were supposed to go do clay sculpting at our favorite art museum last night, but after the exhaustion of the day we decided to just skip it.

I hated getting off track with school. But Crusoe is a member of our family and we love him. And when someone in your family is sick, then he or she is all that matters.

Please shoot up a prayer for Crusoe that he shakes this sickness quickly.

** Update: When we brought Crusoe home from the vet last night, he was in bad shape! He had diarrhea in Dawson's bedroom that had an odor like I have never smelled. It's so bad that even after steam cleaning, his carpet may need to be replaced. We kept him in our pool house over night in case he got sick (Crusoe, not Dawson). I honestly expected to not find him alive this morning. But, he got up (albeit very slowly), ate a little bit, drank, didn't throw any of it up, went outside and pottied, and is now resting again. He is in a lot of pain, though. Climbing stairs or getting on the bed makes him wince. I called the vet and the fact that he had a bowel movement tells her that he likely does not have an obstruction, but probably ate something wood related (mulch, stick, wooden block) that has torn up his intestines. He will be on two stomach medications and is getting a pain pill today. All we care about is that he is okay. It was scary and neither Dawson nor I slept worth a darn last night. I even cried when I went to bed. This is the most attached I've ever been to an animal.

Now we are going to try to do some school work today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CTC Math {Schoolhouse Review}

We found our groove with math this year. I found a curriculum that both of the kids respond well to and seem to enjoy (as much as one can enjoy math). We have spent the whole year learning the ins and outs of multiplication and were just a few lessons away from being ready to move onto the next year-long level on division. And then an opportunity to review the 12 Month Family Plan from  CTC Math became available. To be honest, I wasn't very enthusiastic. I mean, why mess with the methods that have worked so well? When I was chosen to review the product I didn't go into it with the level of enthusiasm that it deserved. We have been using a dvd/workbook curriculum with great success. The 12 Month Family Plan from CTC Math is a web based curriculum. As we have not had a lot of luck with those types of programs, I went into this review with a negative attitude. And then my socks were knocked off by how great it is. In fact it is so great that we are going to continue to ...

Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt (Schoolhouse Review)

For the past several weeks we have been reviewing Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt and the Old Testament and Ancient Egypt Flashcards  from Veritas Press . As we were entering into our more easy-going summer schedule, and had just concluded a two-year Old Testament Bible course, I was happy to try out this product as it appeared to be something that Eli and Brynne could do together, alone, and would act as a review of the Old Testament presented in a different way. And I was right. Each Veritas Press Self-Paced History program includes 160 lessons teaching about 32 events in history. They are designed for children in grades 2-6, and it is recommended that the student be a minimum of 7 years of age at the time of the first lesson. What We Received We received a full one-year subscription, for one child, to the online Veritas Press Self-Paced History: Old Testament and Ancient Egypt program and the accompanying Old Testament and Ancien...

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.