Skip to main content

For the Birds ~ Book and Activities for the Week of February 21st


One of the things I love most about homeschooling is the freedom to change things up when a change in circumstances arises.

We had every intention of participating in The Great Backyard Bird Count that started today. But, with us taking off 9 days of school because of the snow, and then working so hard this whole week while going to the state capitol building yesterday and having a Valentine's party today, I just didn't feel like we were prepared enough.

And, next week our letter-of-the-week is "O". So we are going to study Observation. One of the main ways we will study that topic is by doing an unofficial backyard bird count each day next week. We are going to re-watch Your Backyard  by Crowe's Nest Media, to familiarize ourselves with the different birds in our region, and then spend 15 minutes each day observing the birds in our backyard and taking pictures of them. Then we will sit down on Friday and do an official count of the different birds that visited us. Hopefully by doing this we will be completely prepared to participate in The Great Backyard Bird Count next year.

Observing birds will be only one form of observation we will do.

Our focus book this week will be Backyard Detective: Critters up Close written and illustrated by Nic Bishop.


I bought Brynne a little bug study kit and we will collect some bugs and weeds and other things and observe them with a magnifying glass. (In fact she already found it and is using it as I type.)

On one sunny day next week we will do some observations of the sun by making a sundial and participating in the activities found here.

And our final observations will be with our senses. We will use this hard candy and paper sack activity found here.

So, if you are following along in our For the Birds study, next week will be changed up a bit with an emphasis on observation. I am really looking forward to this set of lessons!

Then next week we will move on to the focus book United Tweets of America and will study the different state birds. Because Brynne enjoyed the little amount of study we did on Oklahoma last week getting prepared for our trip to the capitol, we will do some further studies on Oklahoma by using some children's library books:

Feel free to join us in a study of your state!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a