Skip to main content

Harper Collins Children's Books {Living Books Tool}

The more and more I homeschool, the more and more I am buying into the Charlotte Mason Living Books concept ... just read a great book and learn. How easy is that?

We've used Living Books extensively this year, mostly with Dawson. It's easy with historical fiction. And then I heard about Living Books for math... for young learners. Honestly, it hadn't occurred to me.

This week Brynne started learning about grouping numbers ... hundreds, tens, ones. We've used legos and bundled sticks (a review is coming up on one of these products). So I decided to browse our library electronic card catalog for possible books to go along with this concept, or other math concepts. I chose about six books.

On the back of one of the books I saw a reference to Math Start and a website. When I typed it in it redirected me to Harper Collins Children's Books.

First of all, there are a lot of resources there! There are book guides, activities, author tour dates and many other things.

In the search box I typed in "Math Start" and it pulled up 70 books. Now, I am a cheapo homeschooler, so I won't be purchasing any of these books. But, I do now have a list of math Living Books that I can request from our public library. And, then I can use any of the lessons guides and activities provided on the website for those books.

For instance, one of the books I checked out from the library was Missing Mittens written by Stuart J. Murphy and illustrated by G. Brian Karas. (This book is really about odd and even numbers, but it proved to me that Living Books for math really do exist. There was another one called A Pair of Socks that I am going to get for my public school son to read, because he has had some difficulty with the "pairs" issue.)

I can go here to get additional activities to do with the Missing Mittens.

You can also browse the books online before you purchase them or check them out from your local library!

This was a nice resource to locate. Thought I would pass it alog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...