Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ Our Regular Schedule and a Field Trip


In our regular life this week…

I am kind of on a personal spiritual journey right now. You go through those times, right? I am spending a lot of my time in quiet reflection, prayer, and study. I am trying my hardest to be very mindful of the Spirit and be obedient to It's prompting. Something I heard in Sunday School really stuck with me this week. I am called to "walk with the Spirit" which was explained as "staying in step with", not too far ahead and not too far behind. That takes lots of concentration.

We were able to get back into some of our regular schedule this week. We had church on Wednesday night and I was able to go to handbell choir practice. I just love that. And the kids have a great time playing with their friends for an hour. We were also able to get back to Co-op on Thursday. 


In our homeschool this week…

Ahhh ... what a great week of learning! After having a week off from sickness and snow, we were ready to get back into the swing of things. It felt great! Here is what we accomplished.

Bible ~ We finished our study of Moses and the Exodus. We are now moving on to The Ten Commandments.

Spanish ~ We finished our unit on family.

Writing ~ We are taking a break from creative writing to work on cursive handwriting. I know that "they don't even teach that in public school anymore", but my kids are going to learn to read it and write it. Plus, it's fun! So far they are doing great!

Reading ~ We are reading the second book in The Spiderwick Chronicles series. We love this story!

Spelling ~ We completed Book 1 of All About Spelling. It's been pretty easy, but it's been a great spelling program for us. I wanted us to start at the beginning so we got all of the rules. We are ready to start Book 2 next week.

Math ~ We are finishing up our multiplication lessons in A+ Tutorsoft (which has provided us with some really great theory). This week we added in Math U See ~ Gamma (that I am reviewing for the Schoolhouse Review Crew). So far the kids LOVE it! Additionally, they are starting to use the Multiplication Wrap-ups we got last week. And, we just found out that we get to review another great math product called Math Rider that will help the kids learn math facts in a fun computer game. Basically, we are knee-deep in multiplication and will be for the remainder of this school year.

Unit Study ~ We read some Dr. Suess books on Monday in honor of his birthday, which led us to Tish Rabe's book Fine Feathered Friends, which led us to a decision to make bird habitat dioramas for our Co-op Science and Geography Fair that is next week, which led us to completing Lesson 5 in Apologia's Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day (on nest types). Whew! It was a really great week of learning about our two chosen birds the Cardinal and the American Robin.

Art ~ Our dioramas are coming along so great! They kids are really tackling these projects with a vengeance, and loving it! We will finish them next week. We also did another lesson in Artistic Pursuits and want to do one more before we write our review for it next week.

I realize that we are right on track with where I wanted to be this time of year. I think we will end our year strong!


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

We saw people this week ... Family, church friends, and Co-op acquaintances. And we got to go on a field trip to Legoland today! Very fun!!!

Yes, I was there, too!


We ate lunch at a fun restaurant at Crown Center in Kansas City. The train delivered our food to us!



A favorite thing this week was…

Coming home from church on Wednesday night to find Dawson sitting at the table writing a paper. This is the first picture I've taken of him doing schoolwork since he went back to public school. He loves to research, and he is writing a paper on the history of Spiderman. I miss being a part of his education!



Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share ...

Have your kids have a book handy at all times. When I am working with one of the kids on something independent, I will send the other one off to read until it's his/her turn for the one-on-one time. The kids also read as I am fixing their lunch and as I am cleaning up the dining room at the end of the school day. They are always eager to read because they get a break right after it. So, there's no grumbling. They actually run to get their books!



What's in the kitchen this next week ...

Monday: Tilapia, rice, and veggies
Tuesday: Hamburger patties, mashed potatoes, and green beans
Wednesday: French toast, turkey bacon
Thursday: Salisbury steak, macaroni and cheese, and corn
Friday, Saturday, Sunday: Blue and Gold Banquet Friday night and FLORIDA on Saturday and Sunday!


What we're reading ...

Mom: Lives that Count by Sharleen Cooper Cohen
Eli: Star Jumper: Journal of a Cardboard Genius by Frank Asch
Brynne: Goldie (Puppy Place) by Ellen Miles


Things I’m working on…

My list of books we will be taking to Florida next week. We are going to do a seashells unit while we are there, and I have lots of books I want us to read.


Things the Kids are Working on ...

Our Co-op Science/Geography/Arts fair is next Thursday. The kids are each making a diorama of the habitat of a species of bird. Brynne is doing a Cardinal in the winter and Eli is doing an American Robin in the spring. So far they have painted their boxes and built their actual habitats (the trees). Next week they are making proper nests, eggs out of Playdoh, and little birds to add to their diorama. They are really enjoying this project, and I have loved watching their creativity!



I’m grateful for…

my dad who put down new gravel on our driveways today while I was gone on our field trip. We were parking in mud pits, so it was SO GREAT to come home to nice, clean gravel.


I rewarded my kids this week by…

taking some extra time to stop by the Funville exhibit at Crown Center after we ate lunch. Then we walked by the big candy store and I said, "Go in and pick out any piece of candy that you want, but only one." Out of all the cool (and some big) and yummy candy options, they each chose ONE gummy Krabby Patty and I spent a total of 96 cents.




Things you might have missed at Journey to Excellence ...

A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…

I got this from my good friend, Jodi, this week.


We are happily linking up this week at the following sites:






Homegrown Learners

Comments

  1. Another awesome week. My kids would be so jealous of Legoland! FUN! We started with the first AAS book too - love that program and wish I had found it earlier. Have a great week - thanks for the link up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So much great stuff happening! We just started the Ten Commandments too.

    Love the dioramas!

    Dawson's paper sounds fun. Did I ever tell you that everytime you mention his name the Dawson's Creek theme song goes through my mind? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great week! And lots of fun. I loved your "what we're wearing Weds." post. I don't often stay in pj's but I find that getting up, showered, and completely dressed helps me (even if it is just workout clothes). My kids, however, would live in their pajamas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great dioramas! Those are something we've never done around here, but I think the kids would love them. (I'll have to save some shoe boxes! LOL) The train restaurant looks and sounds like a lot of fun! My youngest would love that! If we're still here in the fall, my oldest will be heading off to a new technology and science high school. I'll miss him heaps too! But it IS a great opportunity for him. Dawson seems pretty focused on his work. Thanks for your comment and prayers about our situation. It was QUITE sudden and shocking and unexpected and not my decision. But we're holding up together strong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE the dioramas. I'm a sucker for kids and art/projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That restaurant looks super fun! My kids love a trip to the Lego Store too. We live near the Mall of America and the lego store there has absolutely giant sculptures that rise from the first to the second level of the mall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful week!!! That restaurant sounds awesome. We are huge MUS fans, I'm glad that you all are enjoying it.

    And woot on your Florida trip. We're planning one for the week after Thanksgiving and I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a productive week! We are looking forward to one of those THIS week! :)
    Legoland looks like sooo much fun. We just visited a lego store on Friday for the first time. My kids had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking week, Nicole! I love the dioramas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a