Skip to main content

K is for Kickoff to Summer Reading


Next Monday, June 3rd is the Kickoff to our library's Summer Reading Program. We always do the summer reading programs at our local libraries. The kids are required to read 20 books by August 3rd for a Sonic coupon and a free book. As my kids are reading chapter books now, I will have to be sure and throw in some picture books each week so that they can reach their goal. I think I will set a goal of 5 chapter books and 15 picture books. Anything extra will be bonus.


I'm even going to get involved in the Adult Summer Reading Program! Our goal is to read 10 books this summer. Oh, how wonderful it would be to read 10 books!! For each 10 books I can enter for a Prize Drawing. For me, however, the real prize is just getting to read!!

I know that there are lots of other reading incentive programs out there, like the Scholastic Summer Challenge, Barnes and Noble Summer Reading, Pizza Hut Summer Book It. Hopefully I will be diligent in sending our reading lists in to earn some other prizes for the kids as well.

Want to have a child who actually wants to read in the summer? This article from Barnes and Noble has some great insight. It refers to The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller. I studied this book two summers ago and posted all of my thoughts on this blog. You can click on this link to read the points that stuck out to me and actually helped me to move my kids into a positive attitude towards reading.

How about you, do you read a lot in the summer? Got any books on your list that you would like to recommend?

I am linking this post up with Marcy at Ben and Me.


Comments

  1. I have a blog that is all tween and teen books if your looking for ideas. It's pretty new so only like 30+ post. It was time to move on to tween and teen books since my first grader is reading middle school level and my middle schooler is reading high school.

    Check it out if you want: http://tweenandteenlibraryfinds.wordpress.com/

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're doing the summer reading program at our library, too. They had their kickoff with an ice cream social on Monday. It's our only "organized" activity for the summer once baseball ends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s so wonderful to have a family that LOVES to read :) I am very blessed to have grown up in a family full of readers and to now have one of my own. I always find that the best option for summer reading is to read them together with my daughter, either literally, or separately. The point is to discuss the books together. It’s great for connecting with your child and teaching them. I try to find a book that will not only entertain her but will motivate and inspire her. If I can find a book with a strong lead heroine I will usually pick it up :) I think it’s so important for young girls to read about self sufficient, intelligent leads! There are so many books out there about girls falling in love and losing themselves in the relationship. My daughter and I actually just finished a fantastic book that I wanted to recommend to other parents out there called “The Beat on Ruby’s Street” by author Jenna Zark (www.jennazark.com). The novel is about an aspiring poet, young Ruby Tabeata, who is growing up in Greenwich Village 1958. A book about the “Beat Generation” and how Ruby’s unconventional upbringing creates obstacles in her young life; a social worker, accusations of theft, and time in a children’s home. Ruby proves to be an old soul and her narration is honest and heartfelt. I think it’s a book covering a unique time period and a unique group of people “the beatniks.” A line that stands out for me from heroine Ruby is, “I guess you could say we’re trying to break out of the old world and start a new one.” I feel a lot of pre-teens and teens will relate to Ruby and her difficult search to find her identity and her path in life. Ruby is a strong character and I feel this is a great book to discuss with your teen and learn from - See more at: http://www.pruningprincesses.com/when-you-wish-to-broaden-her-view-of-the-world-a-list-of-books/#sthash.gJrkR3KJ.dpuf

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a