Skip to main content

Study America Saturday ~ Connecticut and Delaware



Welcome to Study America Saturday where I share with you all we have learned about America this week, as well as any cool deals I find out there related to American History.

First, I need to give a shout out to Mary at Winecup Christian Academy and thank her for recommending "The States" dvd series from The History Channel. We received it today and watched the segments on Connecticut and Delaware as a review of what we had learned this week. I love this dvd series and I highly recommend it! Thanks, Mary!

Now onto what we studied:

We are using Road Trip USA as our spine this year for learning U.S. Geography. This week's states were Connecticut and Delaware.

For Connecticut, we:

  • Found it's capitol, Hartford, on our world map
  • Completed and colored the state symbols notebooking page
  • Made a Praying Mantis craft (scroll 3/4 of the way down the site to find it)
  • Watched video on the Old State House
  • Baked a Connecticut apple pie from scratch (yum!)
  • Read Connecticut Facts and Symbols from "The States and Their Symbols" series from Hilltop Books
  • Colored the Connecticut page in our Maps to Color and Learn: United States coloring book by Kappa Activity Books (picked up at the Dollar Tree one time for $1 each).



For Delaware, we:

  • Found it's capitol, Dover, on our world map
  • Completed and colored the state symbols notebooking page
  • Made a suspension bridge with cardboard, craft sticks, and pipe cleaners
  • Watched a video on Gallopin' Gertie
  • Made Delaware crab cakes (yuck!)
  • Read Delaware Facts and Symbols ("The States and Their Symbols")
  • Colored the Delaware page in Maps to Color and Learn: United States
  • Read: Row, Row, Row the Boats by Michael Dahl and Raising Yoder's Barn by Jane Yolen



Again, "The States" by The History Channel was well worth the purchase price, and I am so glad I bought it! The segments about each state last about 10 minutes and they are so informative. Both the kids and I really enjoy watching them. They are a great way to summarize what we have learned throughout the week and wrap-up our learning.


Great Homeschool Conventions and The National Center for Life and Liberty have teamed up to provide a FREE download for subscribers of the e-book Understanding the Constitution and it's companion Study Guide. This amazing offer expires 8/28, so don't miss it! We won't be using this material this year, but it's tucked away for our study of government when the kids are older.


This week Marcy at Ben and Me provided a list of great resources about studying Washington, D.C. You should check it out!

And, finally, The History Channel website is having a great sale on their educational dvds. There are LOTS of American History documentaries marked way down (including some of the "America: The Story of Us" dvds and "The States" is marked down to $19.99.) It's worth a look!

And that about does it for us this week. If you have studied some aspect of American History this week and have posted about it, I would love if you would leave a link to it in the comments. I typically do not have any luck with linkys so won't go to the trouble. But, if we garner up enough interest, I might reconsider.

Comments

  1. I am studying American History with my 5th grader this year. I am hoping to share my resource list on a weekly basis. Thanks for inviting me to share that information here, as well. Week 1 - We covered the Intolerable Acts and the Boston Massacre...
    http://itsmysweetlife.blogspot.com/2013/08/american-history-american-revolution.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am just not doing this curriculum justice! LOL

    I am so glad you got "The States" - it is awesome and so well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...