Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge



Did you watch The Oscars? How many of the Best Picture nominees have you seen (American Sniper, Birman, Boyhood, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, and Whiplash)? Do you think actors should use their acceptance speeches as an opportunity to promote their political and/or social agenda? Does that sort of speech make you more or less inclined to change the channel?

Funny, but instead of watching the Oscars we were watching a movie! Usually the majority of the Oscar-contenders aren't even shown in the Midwest. (Insert hillbilly drawl of Sandy the Squirrel from Spongebob here.) I guess the movie people don't think us here in Mizzura are smart enough to get the understandin' needed to watch them there movies. We did see American Sniper. I guess they thought we could handle some shoot-em-up. Chris Kyle was a true American Hero! Actors can use whatever platform they want to promote themselves. But we have the right to say no to watching it. I could care less what political or social agendas Hollywood has because, quite honestly, it's the complete opposite of my beliefs. I have a choice whether to watch and listen, so I don't. Instead we watched the movie The Good Lie with Reece Witherspoon about The Lost Boys of Sudan. That was an excellent movie that was full of political and social agendas worth following. As a country we should be disgusted with ourselves that we even listen to, let alone follow, the political and social views of Hollywood when that kind of genocide is occurring in other countries.

Speaking of the movies ... are you comfortable going to a movie alone? How about dinner in a restaurant (not fast food, but an actual restaurant)? The second half of this question was posed by Carrie who blogs over at It's Not Easy Being Queen (http://queenbullock.com). Thanks, Carrie!

I answered a similar question to this in a recent Tuesday Coffee Chat. The short answer is no. You can go HERE to read the long answer.

What's the last home repair or home improvement project you had to pay someone to complete? In hindsight was this a project you could have done yourself?

We purchased and had installed a direct vent furnace at the beginning of winter. We hired the job done because we had to have a vent hole cut through our 9" plaster walls. That was a job we did not want to do and are still glad we did not have to do. It was worth every penny that we paid to have it done.

Have you ever had Indian food? Like it or no? If you're a fan, what's your favorite dish? Have you ever prepared this yourself at home? Is there an Indian restaurant in your current hometown?

My mom and I shared Indian food with my sister-in-law Shawna on a visit to Portland, Oregon. I was skeptical, but it was really very good! I couldn't tell you anything we had, other than there were chickpeas involved. I have never prepared it at home because my family would not like it. And we live in a town of 2,000 people so, no, there is no Indian restaurant here. We have a Sonic, Subway, Dairy Queen, a couple of local dives, and a Chinese restaurant.

A song that reminds you of your parents?

I can't think of anything that reminds me of my parents as a couple. But "The Rose" by Bette Midler reminds me of my mom and anything by the Oak Ridge Boys reminds me of my dad.

The 26th of February is National Tell a Fairy Tale Day. What's your favorite, or one of your favorite, fairy tales? Do you have any childhood memories associated with a particular fairy tale?

The Pied Piper. I had a book with a record of that story. Do you remember those ... how they would 'ding' when it was time to turn the page? I loved those!


What's a problem you solved yesterday?

(This was actually done on Monday because I did my Hodgepodge on Tuesday night.) I am not sure if it was a particular problem solved, but I did stop at the end of my daily Bible study yesterday and drive over to my daughter's to talk to her. I just wanted her to know that regardless of any advice I ever give her, that I will love her and support her no matter what her decisions are. I wanted her to know that it's okay to make mistakes in her life, to recognize them as mistakes, and then to change her mind. I told her that I never want her to feel like she has to keep doing something she doesn't think is right, just because she thinks she is too far into it or that her family or others will not approve of her decision to change her mind. We had a great talk and I hope she really heard that my love for her is absolutely unconditional, that I am proud of her, and that I support her decisions for her future.

Insert your own random thought here.

Another surgery for Rick's daughter. This time her back. Sigh. Will it ever end? Insanity. Love my man for not completely losing his mind.

Comments

  1. Yes, I had lots of those books with the cassette tapes, i don't think I had many records. I remember the "ding" to turn the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We watched the Oscars and while I haven't seen most that were up they were available here, just didn't want to pay the sky high price. We redbox it or watch movies via on demand. Is Sedalia your closest bigger town? Do they have a good movie selection? They use to not when my mom grew up there but like she says they also tripled in size compared to back then but still not big city sized. :) Hope Rick's daughter gets better, back surgery is no fun but she is young and hopefully will bounce back fast. Glad you and Kyndal had a great chat. Have a great weekend, stay warm and safe if you get the yucky weather.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a