Skip to main content

Simple Woman's Daybook




For today ... Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Outside my window ... an Amish buggy and large trailer just went by loaded down with pumpkins for the auction this afternoon. I'm not quite ready to put out pumpkins yet. Mums, yes. But I want to wait a couple more weeks for pumpkins.

I am thinking ... about how I wish I could just go back to bed. I am tired and already feeling cranky today.

I am thankful ... for fall weather, scents, and colors.

I am wearing ... black Jockey yoga capris, a workout tank, and my Brooks. I am going to walk to the park and then run the mile loop once. Maybe that will help my mood.

I am creating ... a glorious NOTHING! (Well, other than weekly lesson plans for school.) Sometimes I get worn down from all the big creating events.

I am going ... to be taking the kids on a little side trip to Atlanta while we are in Pensacola next month. We are going to stay at the Omni Hotel and tour the CNN Headquarters. We will be marking two things off the kids' bucket list.

I am wondering ... about next year's curriculum, already! I like to have a plan early so that I can start looking for good deals.

I am reading ... I am impatiently waiting for Rick to get here on Thursday with my next pile of books from the library (he transports books back and forth from the awesome Tulsa City-County Library system for us). I finished Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline yesterday and, as always happens when I read a really good book, I want to dive right into another one! For now I'll have to be satisfied with The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis (kids' read aloud) and The Miracle Worker by William Gibson (kids' read aloud).

I am hoping ... that everything looks good and healthy with Kyndal and Collin's baby when we go to the ultrasound on Thursday. We are really hoping we can finally hear the heartbeat!

I am learning ... to just accept people for who they are. You can't change people.

In my garden ... are young people who are planting me a fall crop. Tomorrow we are planting swiss chard, broccoli rabe, onions, purple carrots, and kale. We are hoping that we aren't getting our seeds in too late and that the cold temps hold off long enough for us to get a harvest.

In my kitchen ... Coffee. Oh, and last night I ate something yummy! I made manicotti for the kids but I didn't want to eat the pasta. So, I cut a zucchini in half and hollowed each half out like a boat. I loaded them with the cottage cheese/mozzarella cheese/parmesan cheese mixture and a tablespoon each of spaghetti sauce and baked them right along with the pasta filled ones. Oh my gosh it was so good!!

In the homeschool room ... We now have added in all of our subjects and have developed a good flow. This week we are studying airplane design and uboats in our studies of WWII and doing some lessons on plant life in science. We had some fun with paper airplanes yesterday! Today we are going to do some drawing in our science notebooks.

A favorite quote for today ... I heard this while listening to Anne of Avonlea while I was running. It's just me. I like things steady .. no highs and no lows.



A peek into one of my days ... I ran my third 5K this past Saturday and shaved 2 minutes off my best time. It was a great run, especially since the temps were at about 50 degrees. Fabulous!


One of my favorite things ... the cooler temps we have had! In the 60's? YES! In hoodies and yoga pants? YES! Is it going to stay that way for a while? Sadly, no. Looks like we will be back in the high 80's for a bit this week.

From the board room ... although I abandoned the true Ketogenic lifestyle of eating, I am still eating as low carb as possible and eliminating grains the majority of the time. So, I am still pinning away when it comes to low carb foods. I hope to try this provolone taco shell soon ...


Post Script ... Apparently my introverted self is feeling pressed on all sides, because I have been really attracted to any article about getting alone time. This is the hardest part of homeschooling for me. Here are a couple of articles about getting that time alone, and the necessity of it, for an introvert like me.

Parenting and Homeschooling as an Introvert by Sallie Borrink

10 Ways to Get Time Alone When You're Homeschooling by Quill and Camera

Comments

  1. I have read Orphan Train, too! It was a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was recently recommended this book as well if you are interested in another. "Teaching from Rest" by Sarah MacKenzie - http://amzn.to/1KQX2Il

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a