Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge



If you could sit beside and/or jump in any lake in the whole wide world today, which lake would you choose and why?

I'm going to go with Lake Michigan because right now the sound of a cold, northern lake sounds heavenly. My parents have a lake house just one hour from here, but it's so hot and muggy here in Missouri that I would like to go somewhere cool and refreshing! Plus, every image I ever see of Lake Michigan just looks so beautiful!

What's your favorite 'fruity' drink?

Anything peach or mango. I really like a peach green tea.

I read a list of thirteen things to do right now to simplify your life. They were ... clean as you go, re-evaluate your relationships (cut toxic ties), unsubscribe (too many blogs and websites), de-clutter, write down your daily goals, reply to emails right away, forget multitasking, create a morning routine, re-evaluate your commitments (which hobbies and responsibilities are most important to you), say no, clean up your computer, and plan your day ahead. Which of the tasks listed do you currently find most helpful in keeping life simple? Which item on the list should you adopt in order to simplify your life this month?

Creating a morning routine, writing down my daily goals/planning my day ahead (to-do list) definitely keeps my day simple and streamlined. I saw somewhere recently where a woman found her grandmother's daily to-do lists from younger years and she has it posted near her kitchen sink for inspiration. I have started doing a daily list hoping that one day when my kids find all my journals, etc., they might also be inspired and get a glimpse of what I was all about. This month? I really need to clean up my computer. I always need to clean up my computer!

What did you do the summer after you graduated from high school?

The day after I graduated from high school I moved into my own apartment 30 miles away from home in the town where I would go to college and immediately started working full time at a law firm as a secretary. Back then I was an over-achiever. What was I thinking??

Are you a fan of podcasts? If so what's a favorite?

I like to listen to podcasts while I run or while I am driving. I have trouble finding any I like, though.  I'm just not very good with technology. Any suggestions? I'm pretty conservative and enjoy anything having to do with home life.

Do you think today's fathers have it harder, easier, or just different than fathers of the past?

I really don't know. I guess about the same, just different because of life circumstances. We have a traditional family life where dad works and mom stays home, so when I think of dads of the past I think of Ward Cleaver so I would say fatherhood is pretty much the same in my sphere of influence. Fathers of today may disagree with that. I don't know.

Tell us one way you're like your father? Or not at all like your father if that's easier?

My dad has always had a quick-witted sense of humor. I think I can be fairly entertaining, as well.

Insert your own random thought here.

Working out is one of those things that I need to do every day first thing in the morning. I am not overweight but I need the strength training, the cardio, and the stretching for flexibility. As a middle aged woman my metabolism has started to slow down and it takes a lot more work to keep my muscles intact. I have several methods I use for working out ... walking, running, riding my bicycle, 21 Day Fix videos, etc. But I seriously have found my favorite daily workout. I have mentioned it before but it is worth another mention: Daily Burn 365. It is a live streaming 30 minute workout each day at 8:00 a.m. Central. Each day is a different workout routine with a different trainer. One problem I have with working out is boredom! But every day it is something new. Yesterday it was strength, today it was kickboxing, who knows about tomorrow. I usually burn about 200 calories in 30 minutes and am sweating! The best part for me is that it is at an appointed time so I don't put it off just because I can. I have an appointment each morning at 8:00 a.m. so I am more likely to show up. The routines are archived so you can do them later in the day. But I know that if I don't work out first thing in the morning then I will talk myself out of it the rest of the day. There is a monthly fee for the service at $12.95 per month. But, to me it is totally worth it and better than a gym membership. There are also hundreds of other types of routines, something for everybody, including workouts with Bob Harper from The Biggest Loser, pilates, yoga, etc. You can pick and choose whatever you want for the same subscription price. If you are looking for a new way to workout, check it out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a