Skip to main content

The Simple Woman's Daybook




Looking out my window ... Well, it's dark. I started this post this morning but had an extra busy day so never got it finished. It is now 8:30 p.m. and I am finally in bed.

I am thinking ... about how I desperately need a day at home doing nothing but reading and binge watching Netflix. I do not like so much activity so many days in a row!

I am thankful ... for warm heat to come home to after several cold trips outside today.

One of my favorite things ... is now Catan! Have you played it? I have wanted to buy it for years but never have. I bought it right before Christmas but the printed instructions were so complicated that we put off playing it. Brynne, my sister-in-law Julie, and I watched a Youtube video on New Year's Eve that explained it very well and then jumped right in. It is so fun! I have found myself lying awake at night strategizing!

I am creating ... absolutely nothing. Creating meals and crafts and activities and family get togethers has wiped me out. I do not think I have one creative cell left in my brain.

I am watching ... not much of anything this week. I haven't sat down in front of the t.v. for more than a few seconds in several days.

I am wearing ... black dress skinny pants, a gray sweater, black and gray scarf, and gray boots. PJ bottoms and a t-shirt that says "As long as we have wine the holidays will be fine." That was my Christmas Day shirt.

I am reading ... Truly, Madly, Guilty by Liane Moriarty. 

I am listening to ... "Billie" on the 5kto10k app telling me what to do and how to run and for how long. "Constance" was a little too sweet for me. I need someone to tell me to just do it. 

I am hoping ... that DirectTV and ABC work out their differences before the return of How to Get Away with Murder.

I am learning ... that I really want to get back to regularly attending church on Sunday mornings. At my Aunt Mildred's funeral today, her daughter (my second cousin) stood to tell about how important weekly attendance at church was to Aunt Mildred and how thankful she was that her parents had made that such a priority in her life as a child. I heard, "Get to church." As we were leaving the funeral today, that was at a very small "country-type" Methodist church in a dinky little town 10 miles away, Kyndal said, "Why don't we start going to church here?" I felt something while I was there in the service. And, apparently, she did, too. I think we are planning on attending this Sunday.

In the kitchen ... we are back to eating a little more healthy. The holidays were full of lots of yum. Now it's light soups, salads, small portions, more clean eating again. We were all ready for it.

In the schoolroom ... Break. Break. Break. Break. Ain't nothin' goin' on here.

Board Room ... Broccoli Bacon Cheddar Chicken. This is on our menu this week!


Post Script ... I am a big Lysa TerKeurst fan. She just speaks to me. Starting today, she has a 5-day Challenge called "Reclaim Your Name" from her newest book Finding I Am. Today's challenge post was called "Why Does This Hurt So Much"? Do you have a deep hurt (or hurts) or a rejection (or several rejections) that have derailed you? This small study might be for you.

Shared Quote ... "30 Problems That Only Introverts Will Understand" (Uncle John, maybe this will make it more clear.) You have to go to the link to read them all, but here are a few ...

  • When you want to cut all ties with civilization but still be on the internet.
  • That feeling of dread that washes over you when the phone rings and you are not mentally prepared to chat.
  • When you are able to enjoy parties and meetings, but after a short amount of time wish you were home in your pajamas.
  • Having more conversations in your head than you do in real life.
  • Carrying a book to a public place so no one will bug you, but other people take that as a conversations starter.
  • When you hear "Are you okay?" or "Why are you so quiet?" for the umpteenth time.
  • Not wanting to be alone but wanting to be left alone and people not understanding that.

A Moment from my Day ... Oh dang, I haven't uploaded any photos since last week and I am too lazy to do it. Let's just suffice it to say that I have had many moments to my days the last week. And I am pooped.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a