Skip to main content

"For the Birds" Kickoff ~ Book and Activities for Week of January 3rd


If you are joining us on our "For the Birds" study (and I don't think anyone is, but here's the info anyway), here are all of the specifics for the books and activities we will be doing:

Our main book will be About Birds: A Guide for Children written by Cathryn Sill and illustrated by John Sill.


TEACHER AND BIRDER Cathryn Sill explains to children what birds are, what they do, and how they live. Accompanied by beautifully detailed illustrations from noted wildlife illustrator John Sill.
 
 We will be doing the following activities throughout the week:

Graphing - I am going to just make a simple graph with the following headings across the top of a poster board: Feathers, Hatch from Eggs, Nest on the Ground, Nest up High, No Nest, Travel in Groups, Travels Alone, Swims, Runs, Use Bills to Gather Food, Sings, Small Size, Large Size. We will then read the book and write the names of the birds under each of the categories where they fall.

Egg Identification - We are additionally using the book Bird Eggs written by Helen Frost. I will cut out some eggs from card stock and color them according to the different eggs in the book. Then I will have Brynne take the drawn eggs and search the book for the type of bird the egg belongs to.

Egg carton counting - I am going to take an empty egg carton and have Brynne count beans into each of the cups by 2's, 5's and 10's.

Egg matching - There are many variations of this that could be done. I printed some Easter egg shapes from here. I first glued them to card stock, cut them out and colored them. Then I took scissors and cut them in half in different ways. I'll mix them up and have her match the cut shapes.

I saw some really great variations to this. Here are pictures of other things you could do depending on your child's age:




On the opposite side of the colored cut eggs, I am going to do math problems on one half and the answers on the other half. Then I'll mix them up and she can match the answers with the problems.

We go to Homeschool Coop on Fridays, and then we typically run errands and go to the library after that, so we limit organized school to Monday through Thursday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a