Each week we will read a specific bird book (on Monday, and then again throughout the week for review), some will be fiction and some will be non-fiction. With that book we will do specific activities and/or crafts throughout the week.
I don't necessarily want to do a Linky or anything, but I would love for you to join me if you would like. I plan to post, on Thursdays, the book we will read the following week and all of the activities we plan to do. By posting all of the information about the book and activities ahead of time, as well as all supplies needed, I hope to make it easier for you to join in on the fun. All of the books we will be using are in our public library system.
Here are the books I plan to use for the first 9 weeks (this will get us through our Spring Break):
- January 3, 2011 ~ About Birds by Cathryn Sill
- January 10, 2011 ~ Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems
- January 17, 2011 ~ Owl Babies by Martin Waddell
- January 24, 2011 ~ Edward the Emu by Sheena Knowles
- February 7, 2011 ~ Stellaluna by Jannell Cannon (and any version of The Ugly Duckling)
- February 14, 2011 ~ Great Backyard Bird Count (see below)
- February 21, 2011 ~ United Tweets of America by Hudson Talbott
- February 28, 2011 ~ Fly Away Home by Eve Bunting
- March 7, 2011 ~ The Perfect Nest by Catherine Friend
I have spent the past couple of days researching projects, activities, crafts and other lessons to go along with the books and I think I have come up with some fun and extremely educational things that Brynne will really enjoy. We will cover everything from the basics about birds to Oklahoma specific birds to homeslessness to adoption. The lessons would be completely appropriate from ages Pre-K to about 2nd grade, I think. I am very, very excited about this unit!
I also know it would be even more fun to have some friends come along for the adventure! If you want to join, go ahead and start getting the books for January!