Skip to main content

For the Birds ~ Book and Activities for the Week of January 17th


We will only have school Tuesday through Thursday next week, because my public school children will be off Monday for Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday. And, we have Coop on Friday, so none of our activities will be done then.

Next week we will be reading the book Owl Babies written by Martin Waddell and illustrated by Patrick Benson.


The bay owls came out of their house, and they sat on the tree and waited. A big branch for Sarah, a small branch for Percy, and an old piece of ivy for Bill. When three baby owls awake one night to find their mother gone, they can't help but wonder where she is. Stunning illustrations from unique and striking perspectives capture the owls as they worry about their mother: What is she doing? When will she be back? What scary things move all around them? Not surprisingly, a joyous flapping and dancing and bouncing greets her return, lending a celebratory tone to the ending of this comforting tale. Never has the plight of young ones who miss their mother been so simply told or so beautifully rendered.

Our activity ideas for this book are mostly coming from Homeschool Share. You can find the link to all things Owl Babies here. And this is what we are doing each day.

Tuesday ~ Listen to owl sounds and watch videos, and learn facts about owls at All About Birds. Then we will complete a coloring sheet found here. And we will make owl cookies found here.

Wednesday ~ Complete a Lapbook, with all free downloads found here. We will put the following things in our Lapbook:
  • Counting poem
  • Owls eat flap book
  • Nest simple fold
  • Owl facts flap book
  • Poems and songs
Thursday ~ For fine motor skills I will print an owl lacing card found here, attach it to cardstock and punch holes around it for her to sew.


Then she will complete the owl craft found here under Arts and Crafts.

We will have a busy and fun-filled three days. Tomorrow I will post the results of the activities we did this week while reading Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...