Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-Up ~ Hoo, Hoo and Romans, too.

School got "interrupted" this week. We were off Monday for Martin Luther King, Jr., day. Then we were off again yesterday and today because of the snow. When our public school is out, so are we here at home. Two of my kids go to public school, so we stick with their schedule.

Although we didn't have school yesterday, the kids had a blast playing in the snow! It was a perfect day! We had 2-3" of powdery white stuff, the temperature hovered right at the freezing mark with a slight wind, but the sun was out making it almost hot when playing.

We have the best sledding hills in the neighborhood, so many neighborhood kids took some time sledding in our yard. My kids played outside for hours without stopping.

It's pretty overcast and cold today, so I don't know how much snow time there will be. It might be a day of board games instead. 

So, what did we do when we were doing school?

Brynne ~ 1st Grade

Brynne is still moving right along with her 3 R's. I don't post many specifics about them, because they're not that exciting. But she reads every day, does phonics lessons and is currently doing subtraction workbook pages. We are on the letter "L" and she is still making a mini-book each week, doing word searches and reading books using that letter (3 per week).

We have really been concentrating on writing. She wrote a letter to her grandma on Tuesday and then on Wednesday she did a story page finishing the sentence "I love when my Grandma ... comes." And she drew a picture of our house. Grandma had just been here for a visit last weekend.

We are still doing our bird study. This week the focus was on owls. We started by reading our inspiration book, Owl Babies written by Martin Waddell and illustrated by Patrick Benson.


Brynne did the following activities:

Owl Cookies



An owl lapbook, courtesy of Homeschool Share



A lacing card


We also read about different owls on the All About Birds website, and listened to their various calls.

We are fortunate that we have owls off the bluff behind our house, so we get to hear them "hooting" often.

Unrelated to owls, but still having to do with birds, we hung suet cakes in onion bags to our trees for our winter birds.


And this morning, after our snow, I saw some bird tracks on our back porch. That was kind of fun.


In History we are still reading Meet Josefina. We are going really slow on this unit, I think because of our high concentration on our bird study. But we did add some Spanish words to our notecards and made a list of some crafts we want to do: paper weaved rebozos and castanuelas (that we saw while watching fandango dancing on YouTube).


Dawson ~ 8th Grade

Dawson has had kind of a quiet week. We are winding down our study of Ancient Rome and rocks and minerals, volcanoes and earthquakes. He watched a video on Mt. Vesuvius and the destruction of Pompeii. A lot of our Roman studies have been on the governmental history and reigns of emperors.

Right now he is finishing up his egg shell mosaic, working on it every day. 


We are revewing verb tenses, finishing our reading of The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare, working steadily through Life of Fred: Decimals and Percents, and continuing to do typing lessons on Good Typing and Spanish lessons on LiveMocha.

For his personal reading he read Earthquake Terror by Peg Kehret. I picked it out for him, and he didn't enjoy it. He said it was predictable. He did do a couple of assignments on it this week, like taking an multiple-choice quiz and completing a sandwich report.


And that was pretty much it for us this week.

Until the snow melts, you will probably find my students doing this ...



We are linking up to Weekly Wrap-up at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

Comments

  1. All the activities look great, but my personal fave is the owl cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great week to me! That owl lapbook looks awesome, and I love the eggshell mosaic idea!

    We have snow here, too, but it's SO cold--we'll have to wait for warmer temperatures before we can go out and play!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a