Skip to main content

Math Monday ~ Subtraction Activities

Again, I'm going to start with a book recommendation. The Math Start books by Stuart J. Murphy are an excellent way to get Living Math into your homeschool curriculum! Brynne does "paper math" on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday each week. But on Thursday I like to bring in a Living Book about the concept we have been practicing all week. And, the Math Start books have something for just about every concept.

This week we did lots of subtraction problems. So, I checked out the Math Start book called Elevator Magic by Stuart J. Murphy and illustrated by G. Brian Karas.


I printed off a photograph of elevator buttons and while I read the book, Brynne pressed the "floor" that she would be on after she did the subtraction problem in the story.


For additional subtraction reinforcement, I printed off some subtraction problems and gave Brynne Do-a-Dot markers to work out the problems. She would mark a dot for the total number of the first integer, then used a pen to "x" out the total number of dots of the second integer. This kept her occupied for quite some time.


We are linking up to Math Monday at love2learn2day.




Comments

  1. Love the use of dot markers...and the link to living math. Thanks for linking up!
    Cindy @ love2learn2day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dot markers! I have some of those in my car from when my hubby and I would go play bingo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...