This will be our last week (well, couple of days) of summer school. Most weeks this summer, starting the first week of June, we have done schoolwork for 2-3 hours in the mornings, Monday through Thursday. We have logged enough hours that we can take off a couple of weeks from our regular school schedule in the fall to go to Florida in late September and to relax around the holidays. We plan to do some schoolwork today and tomorrow and then call it quits until Wednesday, August 14th when we will officially start our 2013/2014 school year.
It has been an amazingly great summer of learning and I totally plan for us to do this again next summer.
- We have moved along in our learning of multiplication.
- We have learned all of the letters in cursive handwriting.
- We have finished some great read alouds (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Poppy).
- We have completed the Summer Reading Program at the library with each child reading a large chapter book and 20 picture books.
- We did a crazy fantastic unit on Life Cycles by observing first-hand the life cycles of frogs, butterflies, and chickens.
- And we have done some fun art projects (review coming in a couple of days).
In addition we have taken swimming lessons, gone to Cub Scout day camp, had scouting activities, played a season of softball, gone to VBS, and more.
It's been a full and fun summer.
But we are ready for a two-week break. My birthday is this week. My brother, sister-in-law and baby niece are here for a week-long visit. We NEED to spend some more time at the lake. I have a couple of little projects I would like to do around the house. We are getting Kyndal's room redone in preparation for her move here in a month. Dawson is wanting to enjoy his last two weeks of summer before school starts again. And, I just want to get some reading done. Schoolwork is pretty much planned, but I just need to get a couple more things purchased and printed.
And on that note, I better get up and ready to start our day. How about you? Have you done summer school? Or have you taken the summer completely off?