Skip to main content

{Not} Back-to-School Blog Hop ~ A Day in the Life


So, this is the last post in this year's {Not} Back-to-School Blog Hop hosted by iHomeschool Network.  It's always fun to document our curriculum, our schoolroom, our first day of school pics and our schedule. Here is how we do things around here.

It is really 7:01 a.m. I have always set my clock ahead 15 minutes trying to psych myself into thinking it's not so early..

7:00 a.m. ~ My alarm goes off and I crawl out of bed and limp to the coffee pot. I take the dogs potty, fix my coffee, feed the cat, give the dogs a crunchy bone, and climb back in bed with my computer. Then for the next 30 minutes I get updated on my blogs, e-mails, and news at the Schoolhouse Review Crew site. Dawson is getting up and ready for school during this time.


7:30 a.m. ~ I jump in the shower and have my second cup of coffee. Dawson leaves for school.


8:00 a.m. ~ I grab my coffee and head to the Sitting Room for my quiet time. It is during this time that I do my Bible study, devotion, journaling, and have prayer time.


8:30 a.m. ~ It's time to wake up the kids. They watch some t.v. and play with their notebook devices while having breakfast. I get them situated and then head into the bathroom to finish getting ready for the day.

9:15 a.m. ~ The kids get dressed, brush their teeth, and make their beds while I get the dining room set up for school.


9:30 a.m. ~ We are at the table ready for school. We grab our Bibles and journals and do our Bible time. It's now that I am usually eating my breakfast. Afterward we do our "Math Problem of the Day" from Bedtime Math. Then a serious game of Rock-Paper-Scissors ensues to see who gets to draw from the Stick Jar first.


10:00 a.m. ~ Between around this time and 12:15 p.m.ish, we complete as many of the following subjects as we can: Grammar, Spelling, Cursive Handwriting, Writing, Math and Read-aloud.



12:15 p.m. (or so) ~ The kids grab their books and read for 15 minutes while I am fixing lunch. (On Mondays we go to my mom's to have lunch with her and my aunt and to snuggle with my one-year old niece.)



12:30 p.m. ~ We take a lunch break which usually involves video games and notebook devices. I also usually make a couple trips to the library each week.


1:00 p.m. (or so) ~ We are back at schoolwork and continue drawing sticks to complete the subjects from our morning session that are not yet complete. The sticks now include "Unit" which is our Road Trip USA daily lessons.


3:15 - 3:30 p.m. ~ The kids grab their books and read for another 15 minutes while I clean up the disaster we created while doing our school work.


3:45 p.m. ~ School is always complete by this time and the house is picked up and ready for evening.

5:00 p.m. ~ I am usually fixing dinner at about this time. The kids are vegging out and playing.

5:30 p.m. ~ We have dinner.

Evening ~ We watch t.v., play, read, play video games, take baths, and just wind down. Most nights we don't have any activities, except for Monday nights when we have Scouts and Wednesday nights when we eat at church and I have handbell choir. Dawson usually works a couple of nights a week. On other nights his girlfriend, Taylar, is over to visit. Kyndal has not yet started school (she starts October 1st), so she is at home with us coming in and out of our lessons throughout the day and hanging out with me in the evenings.

8:30 p.m. ~ The kids are in their beds with lights out, but they are allowed to watch t.v. or play with their notebook devices or small toys in bed. I hit the couch for some t.v. time and one-on-one time with the older kids.

9:30 p.m. ~ Dawson heads to bed.

10:00 p.m. ~ I climb in bed to read. Lights out for the little kids.


11:00 p.m. ~ Lights out for mom.


This is a pretty typical daily schedule for us Monday through Thursday. On Fridays I let the kids sleep in a little later. Our day of schoolwork also looks different as we drop some things and add others. We add some outside math, a map study, science, a literature study, and nature (if we have time and/or something presents itself that we want to study). We also typically go a little later in the day with our school work.

Daddy his home by Friday evening and our weekends consist of family time. There are lots of movies being watched, video games being played, meals being cooked, laundry being done, and home projects being completed. Then on Sunday night daddy goes back to work, I get the house cleaned up from the weekend, and get lessons planned so we can do it all over again.



Comments

  1. It's always interesting to see how everyone manages their days. I haven't done a Day post yet since we won't start school until the 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey friend, praying for you. I know what it's like to have dear husband gone during the week days. We did that about 2 years ago for 6 months. It's doable, but some days get tough. There's definitely a missing element to it.
    I would do a day in the life post, but everyday is all over the place. We started, what? 2 weeks ago? Guess what? I am taking a 2 week break. Revamping plans for the littles. Yep, that's how we roll 'round here... wing it til it works, ugh. On the upside, my oldest is getting married in 5 days! yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I set my clock ahead too! But it has not been as effective since I started using my phone as an alarm because I'd rather the phone have the correc time. :-)

    It sounds like a pleasant schedule. Have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how "normal" your schedule is. I always feel guilty when we haven't started school by 9:00 so it has been very encouraging to see that others don't feel a time crunch in the morning- and they still manage to get school done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a