Tuesday, August 20, 2013

W is for Water Conservation


We have what is called a "wet basement" in our house. It is completely usable, but the concrete walls leak water when we have a big rain. Because of this, the basement is very humid! Since we do not have central air, it stays moist most of the time. My mom bought us a dehumidifier to keep in the basement to cut down on the humidity. It works great! It runs pretty much non-stop and I have to dump the bucket at least once a day.


After a couple of weeks of pouring the water down the drain (at least once a day), it occurred to me that I could actually use that water to water my plants outside! Duh! I could water my plants for free! .. well, partially free. I do spend money on electricity to run the dehumidifier. But at least now I don't pay for electricity and water!


I haven't turned on a water faucet to water our plants and flowers since that date.


One day my neighbor asked me what I was doing. When I told her she said I should share that information with someone.

So, if you have a dehumidifier, conserve water and use your collected water on your plants and flowers.


I am linking up with Marcy at Ben and Me.

1 comment:

  1. What a good idea! We don't have one now, but growing up we had a house with lots of moisture and ran one frequently.

    ReplyDelete

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!