Skip to main content

Our first day went off with a bang!


We had a special first day of school! I rose early in the morning to be sure I had enough time to get ready before Dawson got up so I could make him breakfast burritos before he left for school. I served it to him at our First Day of School table scape.


This is how he was really feeling about going back to school.

When he saw the table he said, "Impressive."





Dawson brought his girlfriend, Taylar, over for pictures, and my niece, Rylee, joined them. Dawson and Rylee are juniors and Taylar is a sophomore.


After the kids left for school I had a bit of time to do my Bible study and get pancakes made for the little kids. I woke them up and they ate at the First Day table, as well.


After they got ready we took some pictures.

My two 4th graders. I can hardly believe it!

We stayed outside for a few minutes because I had a fun science experiment to start off our 2013/2014 school year. The experiment was The Exploding Lunch Bag by Science Bob. I took a video of the kids' reactions, but it's sideways and I can't get it turned around. Here are the instructions.


We came inside and learned all about why the bag exploded and then proceeded to have a great day of learning!

The kids each got new clipboards. We use these every day. My daughter, Kyndal, decorated their clipboards to give them some pizzazz!



This is going to be a great year of school, I just know it! Everybody was happy-ish and eager to get back to learning and into a schedule. Here's to 174 more days just like this one!


Photobucket

I am linking up this post with Mary at Winecup Christian Academy, and at The Homeschool Post's 2013 Homeschool Blog and Tell.


Comments

  1. You are such a great mom. That table looked fantastic. Hoping your first day continues to go well.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, we should be neighbors! Could you imagine the crazy fun we could have??! Love the lunchbag idea! We are headed to the park tomorrow for a co op meeting w/ sack lunches. This oughta be fun! bwa ha ha.
    I guess I didn't realize that TJ and Dawson are in the same grade; I'm not very observant, lol.
    Wishing you many fantastic blessings upon your new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the table display and the clipboards - super cute! You are such a fun mom!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful homeschool year!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a