Skip to main content

A Day in the Life of Homeschooling Two Fourth Graders (Ages 8 and 10)


I am joining up with Simple Homeschool to share in their "A Homeschool Day in the Life" Series. You have seen how we handle our days on multiple occasions (if you are a regular follower). But, I thought I would share one of our days from the past week. And these types of days are what are most typical.



So how does a mom and two 4th graders get from here ...


to here ...


in just a few hours?

We start out with our Bible lessons. That's always a good place to start.


Then we throw in a little laughter when one of us shakes the Stick Jar too hard and the sticks all go flying everywhere.


And then just a few minutes later a couple of tears fall when composing grammatically correct sentences proves to be too difficult.


We always work through our core subjects in the morning while our minds are fresh and ready (grammar, spelling, reading, handwriting and math).

We aren't "dum dums", sometimes we have a piece of candy to help get our creative juices flowing.


And when that doesn't work we grab some toys to act out some stories before we write them in our creative writing lessons.


We always take a break from the table area to our Sitting Room for our favorite subject of the day …. Read aloud time! And we always have a lap full of dogs! It's their favorite subject of the day, too.


After some personal reading time and a lunch break, we gather back for our unit study, literature study and science and to finish up anything we didn't get finished in the morning.

This is when things really start to get messy!


We slow back down for some more personal reading at the end of the day, and mom heads to the table to clean it up.


And that's a typical day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...