Skip to main content

Poppins Book Nook


I love virtual book clubs, especially for the kids. I participated in one when the kids were smaller and reading picture books, and tried to adapt that same club to their current ages but it didn't work out because I couldn't find books by the recommended authors in their age range.

But my friend Jill at Enchanted Homeschooling Mom invited me to be a co-host in the upcoming season of the Poppins Book Nook, a virtual book club for kids of all ages! The fun thing about this book club is that instead of featuring specific authors each month, there is a featured theme. So, any age can participate and use any level of book just so long as it fits within the specified theme.

Here are the themes for the 2014 - 2015 season …


As an example, for March we will be reading Papa and the Lephrechaun King: The Secret Legend of the Shamrock by Arthur Cola and exploring "Where in the World do Leprechauns Live?" We will read the book and showcase the activities we do surrounding the book.

You are invited to join along! Just come back on the last Monday of each month and leave a comment on my blog post with the link to your post about the book you read and the activities you did! It's that easy … and that fun!

I hope that you will consider joining Poppins Book Nook.

 It will be supercalifragilisticexpialadocious!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...