Skip to main content

Study America Saturday ~ Minnesota and Missouri


This week in our Road Trip USA unit study, we traveled to Minnesota and then snuggled right into our home state of Missouri.



Minnesota

We started out our studies by going through the materials in Road Trip USA and coloring our notebooking page. Then we went on to watch the segment about Minnesota from "The States" dvd.

We read Minnesota Facts and Symbols by Bill McAuliffe. (I highly recommend The States and Their Symbols series of books.)


While our cinnamon apples were baking,


we did a really great Monarch butterfly art project. I thought these turned out so cool!



Missouri

Again for Missouri we read our Road Trip USA materials, colored our notebooking page, watched the Missouri segment of "The States", and read Missouri Facts and Symbols by Emily McAuliffe.


I learned something new … Missouri was the first place for the Olympics to be held outside of Europe. It coincided with the World's Fair in St. Louis.

We were feeling under the weather on the day we learned about Missouri, so we watched a Netflix movie called "The Adventures of Mark Twain" and then some videos on Youtube about Halley's Comet. Did you know that Mark Twain was born while Halley's Comet was visible in the sky and died when it was visible in the sky. He always felt a special connection to it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...