Skip to main content

D is for "Driver's Education"

(** I'm posting this today, instead of next Wednesday which is my usual time. I'll be away on Spring Break next week and sometimes my auto-post feature works, and sometimes it doesn't.)


Oh my, yes, in just one month, this young man will be ... gulp! ... DRIVING!


It makes me sad to think that in such a short amount of time, he'll be driving up the street to his friend's house instead of riding his RipStik with his dog at his side. He will be able to test for his permit at 15 1/2, which is next month. Until then, he and I will be launching into our new homeschool elective: Driver's Education.

We will be using the "Take the Wheel" parent taught driver's education program. And we will be counting it as school!


I ordered the dvd set and workbooks today. Rick taught Kyndal to drive, so the stress was minimal for me. But, I'm taking on Dawson. I have already taught him how to back out of the driveway in my Suburban, get turned around and up our steep driveway, and out the driveway without hitting our headwalls. That's an accomplishment because our driveway is tricky!

It always felt like Kyndal was old enough to drive because she just has that go-get-'em kind of personality. But, I have to say, I am a little torn up about Dawson being old enough to drive. It just means he'll be driving out of my life sooner than later. ** Sigh **

But now it's time to put on my teacher hat and educate Dawson on driving. Wish me luck!


Linking up at Blogging through the Alphabet at Ben and Me.

Comments

  1. oh my is right!

    why must they grow up so quickly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. That just freaks me out. I can't imagine Keilee driving. Although she thinks I should already be teaching her! And she is 12. I am going to bookmark that Take the Wheel course. Looks very cool. Good luck Momma! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a milestone!! I remember how excited my oldest son was, and he could hardly wait to start driving - he got his learners permit the first day he was eligible. My second son has been eligible for at least 2 years, and doesn't care. LOL We'll probably have to push him to take drivers ed. (How I wish my state allowed the parent-taught drivers ed!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...