Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-Up ~ Learning While on Vacation

We are on Spring Break this week. It was our intention to shut down our brains and just relax for a full week. But, the one thing about homeschooling  is that it's impossible to shut off teacher brain, especially when you are in a completely new environment so full of learning opportunities.

Like seeing hermit crabs while at the beach.


And going to the the naval aviation museum.


And watching the Blue Angels do their practice runs.


Then stopping off to tour Ft. Barrancas.


Learning just cannot stop when you have so much living education around you. Life is my Favorite Resource this week.

No, we didn't touch a book this week. (Well, I did. I read two ... HA!) But it becomes more and more apparent to me how learning is an experience, not a planner of assignments. The richness of learning that occurred this week without planning has been amazing! These are things I am certain my kids will remember for the rest of their lives, not just long enough to regurgitate on a test.

Next year we are planning to take two weeks for Spring Break with our new schedule. But I realized this week that even some of those days will likely be counted as school days. How can we learn so much and not count it as a school day?

I wasn't counting on having a Weekly Wrap-up to link up at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers, but I do.



If you would like to look at a ridiculous amount of pictures of my cute kids in Florida this past week, and read in more detail about what we did on Spring Break, you can read posts found here, here, and here.

Comments

  1. Looks like you guys are having a blast! Enjoy the rest of your learning/vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, I hope you are enjoying your vacation. My sister lives in the Panhandle (Santa Rosa Beach) and we visit her there often. One of our favorite things to do is go to Shell Island (a state park) and snorkel.

    I so agree with what you say about always homeschooling - it's just hard to turn off learning, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is my absolute favorite resource all the time! What a great week you've been having :)
    Thanks for sharing with Favorite Resources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great vacation (and a very well-deserved one, too)! Glad to see you all enjoying yourselves!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...