Skip to main content

A Peek at our Weekend ~ The One With Productivity and Rest



What was in the kitchen ...

On Friday night we celebrated Taylar's 16th birthday and I made her requested dinner of chicken fettucine and garlic bread. She also loves fruit, so I made a Banana Split Trifle (my name for it cause I used chocolate pudding instead of coconut).


On Saturday, my mom offered to keep the kids so Rick and I could go out, but we opted for staying home instead. I fixed a dinner of smothered burgers, sweet potato fries, and corn on the cob. I love sweet potato fries but have never been able to come up with a good way to cook them to where they are good and crunchy like french fries should be. Any advice?

Tonight we just had leftovers for dinner. After a hard day of working around the house, I just wasn't in the mood to do any cooking.


An activity we did away from home ...

Friday night we had Eli's monthly Scout Pack meeting. It's popcorn selling time! Eli is trying, desperately, to beat the usual top seller. If anyone would like to help him out with a popcorn purchase, you can go to THIS LINK and order directly online. It really is the best popcorn around! If you don't want popcorn but would like to help out anyway, there are a couple of donation options to send popcorn to our military.

Because Eli wanted to beat other boys to the punch, he and I got started selling first thing Saturday. I was so proud of him for going up to the doors of strangers, introducing himself, and making some sales. Even if someone said, "no", he was so sweet in thanking them for their time. At one particular elderly lady's house, who lives down the street from us, he said,  "We should just come back and just visit her sometime."

While we were out selling, Rick and Brynne were spending time together on the golf course. I love this collage of pictures!


On Saturday evening, Rick took Brynne down to the park so that she could practice volleyball at the sand volleyball course.

Kyndal and Collin, Dawson and Taylar spent Saturday and Saturday evening at a nearby Fall Festival. They had a good time eating, riding rides and walking the midway.


What we learned at church ...

I have started teaching the 4th-6th grade kids in Sunday School. Our focus this year will be on learning to use our Bibles. We learned about God's promises through Noah's story. We are also working on decorating our new classroom. It's been freshly painted, so we are making canvases with our names to hang on the wall.


In church service, the theme of the Bible continued. Our pastor talked about the importance of actually reading our Bibles. She confessed that, even as a minister, she is lacking in this area unless she is preparing for a message. If you don't know much about the Methodist church, one of the downfalls I have experienced is a lack of Bible preaching. A lot of the sermons are belief related, not biblical. I have attended many Bible preaching churches, so hearing the Word is very important to me. It's also important to me to read my Bible several times a week and listen to God speaking to me through His Word. I hope to take all I learned this morning into my Sunday School classroom and really help these kids learn about the power of God's Word.


Things accomplished at home ...

Rick and I worked hard at home this weekend! We got in my garden and pulled out a lot of dead and made way for some new seeds for fall planting. I also saw some new growth on my cucumber plants. I've learned another life lesson from the cucumber plant. I'll post about that on a later date.

Then we spent several hours Sunday working on the girls' bedroom in the basement. I am so happy with the way it has turned out! We had, basically, no money to work with and needed to find a way to make a bedroom with walls and everything. We did it with white shower curtains, yarn, thumbtacks and a staple gun. Now the girl each have all of their own bedroom furniture in one room together (which they wanted ... yes, my 8 and almost 19 year old daughters want to share a bedroom) and it looks really cute.We are almost done with it, only needing to do some tweaking around the closet and accessorizing. So we're not quite ready for the reveal. The girls will get to sleep in their new room starting Wednesday night. Eli is happy! Now he gets his room to himself!


My favorite moment ...

I had a lot of favorite moments. When we are productive at home, and also get lots of rest, it makes me so happy! I was also happy to see Dawson working so hard to make Taylar's 16th birthday a happy one for her. He stayed at her house last night until midnight so he could be the first one to tell her 'Happy Birthday'. Then today he took her out of town to go to dinner, shopping, and to the movies. He bought her a new Chi flat iron for her birthday. He's a good boyfriend! Aren't they cute?



Ways we relaxed ...

I suffered from a sinus headache most of Friday night and Saturday. Eli and I slept in a bit on Saturday morning before we went popcorn selling. Rick and Brynne did their kind of relaxing on the golf course. I took about an hour long nap on Saturday while Rick and the kids were watching Finding Nemo. Then we all got to bed early. We desperately needed some extra rest from a previous exhausting week.


Preparations for the week ahead ...

Tonight the kids, dogs, and I are vegging out in the living room recharging for our busy week. Eli is playing with toys. Brynne is playing Wii. And I am blogging while surrounded by sleeping dogs. I've got lesson plans to do tonight, and a big basket of laundry waiting to go in the washer.



Comments

  1. Sounds like it is busy around your house! Praying you were able to get some needed rest and have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a