Skip to main content

Z is for Zillions of Flies


Yes, zillions! I don't know about where you live, but in Missouri the flies have been atrocious this summer! Oh my gosh, they just swarm on our porches and then get into the house. We spend hours every night swatting flies. They gross me out so bad and are so stinking annoying! Our dogs are terrified of the fly swatter because of all of the chaos of hunting down flies!

Photo Credit

Several years ago we were on a mini-vacation in Branson, Missouri, and went to the Dam and fish hatchery. As I was walking into the conservation center, I noticed a plastic bag filled with water nailed next to the door. When I asked the agent about the bag of water, she informed me that it helped with the flies.

In the past I have tried this little trick, but didn't seem to think that it worked very well. The other day I saw that my mom had one hung on her back deck next to the door. I asked her about it and she said that it had made a huge difference! She said that she was told that the key is to put some pennies in the water.


Out of desperation, I gave it a try. And, you know what?? Our fly infestation seems to have decreased dramatically. We still have some flies ... it is summer ... but I didn't have to swat any this evening. And, usually, as I am laying in bed at the end of the night, since my nightstand light is the only light on in the house, the flies find me and just bug me to death until I finally give up and shut off the light. Tonight? No flies!

There are those that believe this works and those that don't. The theories on why it might work are varied, as well. I guess the best way to find out if it works is to give it a try. All I know is that it, coincidentally or not, seemed to work for us.



This is the last post on this round of Marcy's Blogging Through the Alphabet linky at Ben and Me.

Comments

  1. I'm stopping by from Blogging Through the Alphabet. I've never heard of this, but it might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a