Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ Diggin' Life


In our regular life this week…

Brynne had a volleyball tournament last night. Rick and my mom took her while I went to a jewelry party Kyndal and Collins' mom were hosting. Her team won second place out of four! Rick said they did so awesome!



Today I took Eli's Scout den to a Mozarkite show and dig. We did not know what to expect, but were so pleasantly surprised! It was a lot of fun!


In our homeschool this week…

We only had two days at home this week doing our normal studies because of our super fun Lake School days earlier in the week.

Bible - We are not moving forward in Bible this week, but plan to finish up Samuel Monday through Wednesday next week.

Grammar - We took a little break from Logic of English this week because of our trip to the lake. If you missed my review on this amazing product, you can go HERE to read all about it!

Spelling - Our words this week all use oar, ore, and or. We will finish up this lesson Monday through Wednesday next week.

Reading - We are reading George Washington: True Patriot by Janet and Geoff Benge. We will finish this book next Wednesday.

Math - We started Week 5 of our Multiplication Teaching and Learning Made Easy book. We will finish this set of lessons next Monday through Wednesday next week.

Handwriting - We continue to write cursive sentences and learn capital letters.

Writing - We continued to learn about acrostic poems this week.

Geography - We planned to finish up our New York studies at the end of the week, but because of a circus trip for Kyndal and Brynne on Thursday afternoon, we didn't get around to it.

Science - We learned LOTS of science at Lake School.

Nature - Again, Lake School provided us with some amazing nature opportunities!

Computer - We are counting down the days to our new Minecraft Castles and Cannons class. They just opened up a 7 Wonders of the World class, but I imagine the class will fill up quickly!

Extra - We are reviewing a great product that is teaching us how to play Chess! The kids are loving it so far and it's going to be a winner in our home!



Homeschool Tricks and Tips ...

Take learning wherever you can get it .. and COUNT it toward your hours! Homeschooling hours do not have happen in the home between the hours of 8 and 3. We logged some hours this weekend learning some incredible stuff!

The Mozarkite dig site. The bottom right photo shows what Eli found.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

After a busy beginning of the week with friends, Eli and I were glad to finally have an evening at home on Thursday. Kyndal and Brynne, however, went to the circus. Brynne got to ride the elephant!


A favorite thing this week was…

definitely our three days at the lake. I mean, really, school and fun with friends? It doesn't get much better than that!



What's in the kitchen this week ...

On Thursday we made New York Style Pizza for lunch. Then this weekend we had some good ol' spaghetti, salad, and french bread.


What we're reading ...

Mom:  The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, What Happens When Women Say Yes to God by Lysa TerKeurst. 

Eli: Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Return of Tippy Tinkletrousers by Dav Pilkey.

Brynne: Lucky (Puppy Place) by Ellen Miles.

Read-aloud: George Washington: True Patriot by Janet and Geoff Benge. 


Things we're working on…

Getting packed up and ready for another trip! We are cashing in on our summer school hours and going to my parents' house in Florida. We'll be gone for 9 days of sun, beaches, reading, and relaxation. We LOVE our trips to Pensacola!


I’m grateful for ...

my parents' lifetime of hard work so that we can enjoy the fruits of their labor by visiting their lake and Florida homes. We wouldn't be able to afford these types of vacations without these homes. They allow us to go without really spending any extra money beyond what we would spend at home on food, etc. Really, just a little extra in gas money and we have free vacations.


In the garden…

I'm about ready to call it quits for the summer. I've got a few more cucumbers and peppers to snag for salads, but that's about it. I do plan to get some tulip bulbs planted in the next couple of weeks.


What's coming up this week ...

We will be finishing up this week's lessons next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Brynne has a volleyball game on Wednesday night and then we are leaving after her game to drive overnight to Florida. I'll be packing and getting the house ready for us to be gone. I've already got my stack of books packed and ready!



A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…

Someone needed some relaxation time on the porch swing today. I couldn't get him to come inside.


We are happily linking up this week at the following sites:






Comments

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a