Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ 500 Hours and 10 Years


In our regular life this week…

The beginning of this week was BUSY! After a busy weekend in Tulsa and then our children's Christmas program at church on Sunday, we were beat on Monday! I spent the majority of the day getting my Business Law class loaded for the class start date of Tuesday. Then Tuesday morning it was time to deliver all of the gifts and food baskets for W. Children's Christmas Fund. We kept it quiet the rest of the week.


In our homeschool this week…

We basically just spent the week wrapping up a few things. The good news is that we have completed 500 hours of school this first semester, so we are now free to take our Christmas break! I have calculated our proposed days of school for the Spring semester and decided we are safe to take a break from school until January 13th. So we are on an extended Christmas break! Yay!!! Other than little organizing projects, this is what I am planning to do:



Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

It was a little overwhelming to deliver the toys and food baskets to the needy families in our town on Tuesday. I received lots and lots of hugs and sincere "thank you's". I felt on Cloud 9 all day after having the opportunity to be a blessing to others less fortunate than myself.


A favorite thing this week was…

hearing some good news on my child support case. But, more than that, I spent some incredible time with God, feeling His presence, protection, and ultimate provision while I waited for the court's ruling. I am grateful for that time to really dig deep with God and realize the depth of His love for me and that no matter what happens, He will take care of my children.


What's in the kitchen this week ...

Quinoa, spinach and poached eggs … YUM! It is so easy to make and so, so yummy and only 160 calories!! Just fix each one separately and pile them on together, then break the yolks.


Last night we had some comforting potato soup (and are enjoying leftovers for lunch today.)

Christmas morning I will make our traditional cinnamon rolls and biscuits and gravy. I am also going to make an egg casserole this year. Then we will have an early Christmas dinner of pork tenderloin with homemade cranberry sauce, party potatoes, crock-pot dressing, and stuffed mushrooms.

With Rick home for the next week we have plans to eat salmon with veggies and rice, spinach-rolled sirloin steak and potatoes in the crock pot, and pork sliders.


What we're reading ...

Mom:  First Sight by Danielle Steel (I got back into it this week) and The Christmas Story by G. A. Myers (finished it … excellent book for Christmas).

Eli: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney.

Brynne: The Dog Days of Charlotte Hayes by Marlane Kennedy.


Things we're working on…

I am working on teaching my class. The little kids are now doing everything they can to detox from school for a bit. Kyndal is still working hard at school and Dawson is now on Christmas break. He is still working, though, even on Christmas Eve and Christmas.

And do you know that little booger got up yesterday morning and walked the mile to work in the freezing drizzle at 6:00 a.m. because he didn't want to wake me or Rick up to help him de-ice his car. I was SO mad at him, but am also so proud of his work ethic! Rick got up and drove Kyndal the 30 miles to school, I think we could have handled a little de-icing just outside the house. He is such a nut.

Everybody is nailing down their last-minute Christmas gifts and our Christmas celebration schedule. Something just feels special about this Christmas.


I’m grateful for …

The little job offer Dawson received from Minecraft Homeschool to be a Head Game Master. It's a paying gig for playing Minecraft. It doesn't get much better than that for a 17 year old boy!


What's coming up this week ...

Well today is Eli's 10th birthday!! We were going to take him out to lunch and shopping to buy Lego kits with his birthday money from his grandparents, but since we were supposed to get ice we took him yesterday. Today we are home hanging out with him, playing his new Disney Infinity game!

We are going to Kansas City to eat dinner with extended family tomorrow night, will celebrate Christmas Eve with my family and go to church service, and then will have our traditional Christmas celebration here at home on Christmas Day. After Christmas Rick and I are finally switching bedrooms with Eli and Brynne, so we will be doing some painting and moving things around.

Happy birthday, buddy! We LOVE you!!


A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…

The Cobras bowling team got their shirts this week. They all bowled above their averages yesterday!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a