Skip to main content

Random 5



1. Last weekend I ran my second 5K. Out of 509 women participants, I finished 159th. Out of the 15 women who were my age, I finished 4th. I was pretty happy with that! My only goal going into a race is just to run the entire thing without needing to take walking breaks, so my time doesn't really matter that much to me. But it is pretty cool to know that at my age and with inexperience I could finish in the top third and almost the top quarter.

2. What do you do when you have a barking dog next door who keeps you up all night? Turn on your white noise app and keep your phone right by your head. So far it's working like a charm.

3. I detest having garage sales and every year that I have one I swear that I am not doing it again. They are just no fun. But then my mom has one and I figure I might as well participate. This year I made every single item of mine 50 cents and didn't mark anything. And I made $100. Pretty good for just showing up. It's still my least favorite summertime chore.

4. So far I have been successful at keeping my grandma's hydrangea transplants alive and well! The key, apparently, is to keep them very well watered. They have new sets of leaves so I think they are going to make it!

5. Now that our summer crazy activities are over I have been able to get back into a good eating and exercise schedule. I'm back to tracking my foods on MyFitnessPal, and Kyndal and I are back at another round of 21 Day Fix. I am sore but feeling very good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...