Skip to main content

Simple Woman's Daybook




For today ... Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Outside my window ... it is stinking hot!

I am thinking ... about my mother-in-law and the not positive news she received about her bladder cancer. Looks like she has surgery and more treatment in her future.

I am thankful ... that all of Dawson's financial aid red tape appears to be finally completed and his A+ scholarship is now in the works to pay for his tuition and fees for the year.

I am wearing ... my pjs. It's going to be hard to get out of them today. I didn't sleep good last night and I am tired!

I am creating ... well, more like planning, Brynne's birthday celebrations coming up. We are having a fish fry at our house for her actual birthday on the 8th. Then on the 14th she is having a pool party with friends and family.

I am going ... to go nowhere today. We went to the lake this weekend and I had to be out of town yesterday and will be again tomorrow for awhile. I covet my home time and today is a day when I have nowhere I need to go.

I am wondering ... how high my electric bill is going to be this month. Our air conditioners have been running a lot!

I am reading ... In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume.

I am hoping ... that I get some quiet time this afternoon to catch up on my episodes of Poldark.

I am learning ... (or re-learning) about the Proverbs 31 woman this week. I have studied her many times, but our Women Living Well study (Good Morning Girls) is now focusing on Proverbs 31. Did you know that the first 9 verses are directed to men? There is also a Proverbs 31 man! You don't hear much about him, huh?

In my garden ... I pulled out two tomatoes, two cherry tomatoes (more coming) and some garlic chives. I think I might have seen a couple of baby jalapeños starting!

In my kitchen ... more coffee calls.

In the homeschool room ... We are going to work for this next three weeks to complete our current grammar level, strengthen some skills in adding fractions, and finish Farmer Boy and The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Then we will take a break until the week after Labor Day when we will start our full-time schedule for the next school year.

A favorite quote for today ...



A peek into one of my days ... 


I see this view out my living room window multiple times a day.

One of my favorite things ... is seeing a hummingbird at my feeder on the front porch.

From the board room ... I have pinned a couple of recipes for Dr. Pepper cake for Brynne's birthday.  I can't decide between a white/vanilla bundt cake or a dark chocolate cake. Both sound yummy!

Post Script ... My friend Diane wrote about her frustrations with the lack of care opportunities for the elderly. She and her mother are solely caring for her father who recently had a stroke and have found very few options for his care. Rick's mom is now facing a major surgery and treatments for bladder cancer, and she is blessed to be able to live right on the property of my sister- and brother-in-law who, along with my niece and Rick, are available to help her to/from her appointments and with her care. It got me thinking about the future. What will happen when my parents need care, if they do? Although it's not something I want to think about, and it is hopefully many, many years away, it's still something we should all be considering.





Comments

  1. wonderful quote have a good week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping your MIL in my thoughts and prayers. XOXO Have a great week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a