Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge



I recently read about four secrets to happiness from around the world. They were: Overcome your fears by facing them head on; Allow yourself to relax and reset; Work to live versus living to work; and, Find the good in life. Not sure if these are the actual secret to happiness, but which of the four do you struggle with the most? Which one comes most easily to you?

Years ago allowing myself to relax and reset would have been the thing of which I most struggled, but now it is the easiest to achieve. Maybe it's age, I don't know. But life is too short not to take some time for myself. I guess the hardest one for me to achieve would be always finding the good in life. I mean, I have cocooned myself into a life where what I allow around me is good. But the world as a whole is just so yuck and life of the masses is something that just doesn't look too good to me anymore. But I would agree, finding joy and good in all of life would be beneficial to personal happiness. If you get wallowed down in the yuck, then you feel hopeless.

How would you spend a found $20 bill today?

I'd probably take my group to DQ for burgers, foot long hot dogs, and ice cream.

Ego trip, power trip, guilt trip, round trip, trip the light fantastic, or trip over your own two feet ... which 'trip' have you experienced or dealt with lately? Explain.

I guess you could say that I took a round trip through the marrying off of my daughter this summer. It was a whirlwind of activity from the middle of May until the middle of July with two weddings (one at home and a renewal of vows in Mexico) and a reception back home in July.

If you could master any physical skill in the world what would it be, and would you use that skill?

Definitely sewing! I have always wanted to be able to sew, especially my own curtains/drapes and pillow covers. Although there was a time when I might have sewn cute clothes for Brynne, I wouldn't do it now. But when I have grandchildren it sure would be fun to be able to sew cute pillowcase dresses, rompers, and appliqués onto t-shirts.

As July draws to a close, let's take an inventory of our summer fun. Since the official first day of summer (June 20th) have you ... been swimming? enjoyed an ice cream cone? seen a summer blockbuster? camped? eaten corn on the cob? gardened? deliberately unplugged? watched a ballgame? picked fruit off the vine? taken a road trip? read a book? Are any of these activities on your must-do-before-summer-ends list?

Swimming? Yes. At the pool, in the lake, and in the ocean.
Ice cream cone? Not exactly. I don't really crave ice cream, per se, but I have had a Mister Misty Float.
Summer blockbuster? Not yet. But on Saturday we are going to see both Minions and Pixel.
Camped? Not unless you count spending the night at my parents' lake house (which I don't).
Corn on the cob? Multiple times.
Gardened? Attempted to around first the constant rains and cool temps and now the scorching heat and drought.
Unplugged? Yes, on our cruise in May. It was nice to not be connected to anyone but my family.
Ballgame? A whole lot of them. Brynne plays softball so we attended lots of games. I've also watched a few Kansas City Royals games with my parents.
Fruit off the vine? Not this year, but I have raspberry, blackberry, and strawberry plants that I hope will produce some fruit next summer.
Road trip? As a family we drove to Galveston, Texas, to catch the big boat.
Read a book? This summer I have read a few. My favorite was Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.

The Republican Presidential candidates will debate on August 6th. What's your question?

What is the biggest mistake our recent administrations have made causing the current state of our country and what do you plan to do about it? (P.S. I'm rootin' for you, Ben Carson!!)

What's your most listened to song so far this summer?

Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars.

Insert your own random thought here.

This week I took Dawson to walk around the campus of the community college he will start attending in a few weeks. We stopped by the bookstore so he could get some fun loot (sweatpants, shorts, t-shirts, etc.). It is crazy that he is now a college student! Truly crazy.



Comments

  1. I think your question for the Republican candidates is spot on; however, I think they would have trouble only picking ONE mistake. :)

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a