Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge


What do you think about luck?

Well, being a Christian, there is really no such thing as luck. It's more Providence. I do think you can make your own luck by making good choices.

Not counting your own backyard, what's a favorite green space in your town, city, or state?

Without a doubt, Farrington Park. It dates back to 1900 when a local man had a vision to create a park and lake area for enjoyment and for ice cutting for ice storage since there was no ice plant in town. Although his vision did not take off at that time, a few years later Rock Island Railroad made a reservoir in the same place to build their railroad and then turned it over to the townsfolk to create and maintain a park setting. The 4th of July celebration at the park in 1904 had attendance of 7-10,000 people (our current population is about 3,000) who were brought in by the railroad that ran adjacent to the park to view the battle reenactment they created on the lake. That 4th of July celebration has happened every year since then, over 100 years strong. In July of 1954 the railroad officially turned the park over to the city for ownership. As the Katy Trail (bike trail) runs through our town and now the new Rock Island Trail (bike trail) does, as well, the park is used often by bikers camping overnight at the small campground. The Fosnows live on the park grounds and maintain it full time with the aid of the Missouri Department of Conservation. There are two sides of the lake complete with shelters, play equipment, basketball courts, tennis courts, a sand volleyball court, Boy Scout cabin, natural fishing piers, and a full one-mile walking trail. It is a beautiful park and lake in what is, otherwise, a pretty small, non-descript town. We often have unique migrating birds that land on the lake to stay awhile, and recently had as many as 22 American Eagles hanging out. We absolutely love our park and visit it at least a couple of times a week as it is just a small distance from our house and we get get there by walking or riding our bikes.


How do you make your life more complex than it needs to be?

I would think that most people that know me think my life is anything but complex. I would have to agree, for the most part. Being a procrastinator is probably the thing that wrecks the most havoc in my life. If I would just do things when they should be done, my life would be pretty simple.

I read the three places you should visit with friends. They are ... New York City, Hawaii, and Amsterdam (rent a bike, walk along the canal, visit one of their world class museums). I felt the need to expound on that one. Moving on ... Of the three places listed which would you most like to visit with friends? What's one place not on the list you think should be visited with friends?

I have been to Hawaii with Rick, and we had a great time! I am assuming this question means with girlfriends. I really don't have any girlfriends that I do anything with, unless we have our kids along. But that's how we like it. I would like to go to New York, but with Rick and the kids when they are little older. Amsterdam is somewhere else I think Rick and I would enjoy together. My friend Cheryl lives in Honolulu, and I bet I could enjoy it with her there if I went for a visit! To add to the list, I would probably say a tour of New England in the fall. That would be a great "girlfriend" type trip, looking at the foliage, eating in quaint little restaurants, shopping at antique stores. If I had girlfriends to take trips with, this would be what I would want to do.

What's the last live performance you saw? On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being best) how would you rate it?

The kids and I went to see "A Charlie Brown Christmas" at the Coterie Theatre at Crown Center in Kansas City, Missouri. The Coterie is a children's theatre. We have seen "Bud, Not Buddy" and "The Miracle Worker" there that were both excellent! "A Charlie Brown Christmas" was horrible! We spent the entire time looking at each other with the expression of, "Oh my gosh, can we endure the rest of this?" It was a bummer for this Peanuts-loving family.

March 14th is National Potato Chip Day. Are you a fan? Your favorite flavor? Besides potato, what's your favorite chip type of snack?

I do like me some chips. I used to really love Doritos, but not so much anymore. My favorite would probably be plain ridged potato chips with a bologna sandwich (sometimes on the bologna sandwich!). My favorite chip-type snack are Corn Nuts. Any flavor!

What rule is most important in your home?

There is no fighting allowed. I have never allowed my children to fight with one another. If an argument ensues, I am quick to get into the middle and have them work through the conflict instead of just aimlessly fighting. There is no hitting or ignoring each other or shutting each other out. It's just not allowed. I have always made sure my kids know that it's okay to have disagreements, but disrespecting each other is not okay. Working out conflicts is a part of life, and if you can't do it with those you love most then you will never be able to do it.

Insert your own random thought here.

My mother-in-law passed away this past weekend. Although it was really not unexpected with her current health situation, it was definitely sudden. She passed away in her home, in her bed, with her husband and all of her children with her. She had been in excruciating pain, but when the Lord decided it was time for her to come Home, she seemed to be pain free and passed peacefully. She was quite a woman. Her Celebration of Life ceremony with be this coming Sunday, so please be praying for her family as we say our final good-byes. She was one of the most faith-filled women I have ever been around, believing strongly in the power of the Holy Spirit. Someone this weekend said, "All I have to say is there better be a Heaven or somebody up there is going to have he** to pay!" That is so true! There's probably not a soul on this planet who has ever been more excited to see her Savior. I imagine her grabbing up Jesus and doing the jig with him on the streets of gold yelling PTL (Praise the Lord) at the top of her lungs! She will be missed by many as there was never a stranger she met that did not become a life-long friend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a