Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge



What are two or three expectations you have of yourself?

Esse Quam Videri - To be, rather than to seem, in all I do, and to be the best wife and mom (and grandma) I can be.

In what way does your outdoor space need sprucing up this spring?

New grass seed in the bare spots in the yard, new mulch, pulling weeds, new gravel in the driveway,flowers in the pots, power washing the house, etc., etc., etc.

According to Roadtrippers, six of North America's most wondrous waterfalls are Webster's Falls in Ontario, Upper Whitewater Falls in North Carolina, Havasu Falls in the Grand Canyon, Multnomah Falls in Oregon, The Lower Yellowstone Falls, and Niagara. Have you seen any on this list? Which one on the list would you most like to visit? Prettiest waterfall not on the list that you've seen in person?

The only one on the list I have seen is the Lower Yellowstone Falls. They were pretty. But my favorite place to see waterfalls has been on the Big Island in Hawaii. Rainbow Falls was nice but Akaka Falls was really beautiful!



Looking back, what's something you wish you'd done as a teenager?

Been true to myself. In my defense I thought I was doing what I was supposed to do, trying to fit in. But I spent all my time doing that instead of exploring the things that made me happy. I didn't know at the time that I was an introvert. Of course I see that now, and I wish someone could have seen that in me and navigated me through those feelings. My favorite time was in junior high when my best friend and I would hang out together, watch old black and white movies, bake in her kitchen, listen to music, and just have fun. That was before boyfriends and all the junk of high school. I certainly would have been easier to get along with had I had enough courage to just be myself.

Ham ... yes please or no thank you? If you said 'yes please' which of the following do you like best ... baked hame with all the trimmings, a ham and cheese sandwich, prosciutto with melon, a ham biscuit, a bowl of split pea and ham soup, or a slice of pizza topped with ham and pineapple?

Ham doesn't thrill me. Prosciutto and melon is not something I have ever tried, but it sounds intriguing.

Are you typical of your generation? How so?

I would say no. I don't want the same things my generation seems to want. I don't strive for more. I don't want bigger or better things. I just want a simple and quiet life.

April rolls in at the end of the week, and in keeping with that theme ... 'act the fool', 'nobody's fool', 'a fool's errand', 'could have fooled me' ... which foolish idiom most recently applies to you? Explain.

Tonight I will be saying 'could have fooled me' that Kyndal and Collin's baby was a girl/boy. Yesterday Kyndal had a gender ultrasound and the tech sealed the results in an envelope that she delivered to her friend. Tonight at 6:00 p.m. Collin will shoot an arrow into a black balloon filled with paint and attached to a canvas. That balloon will pop and will splatter blue or pink paint onto the canvas to tell us whether we will be having a grandson or a granddaughter. I really have no idea what sex the baby is. I am thinking girl but hoping boy (only because we haven't had a baby boy in the family since Eli and he's 12 years old). Really all we want is a healthy grandbaby. It will definitely be a surprise!

Insert your own random thought here.

Enough days have passed by that I can finally talk about this without crying. Derek Morgan left Criminal Minds. I really thought it was a teaser, or a joke, or that he was only taking a short hiatus. But, no, Shemar Moore has moved onto other endeavors after 11 years. He is Criminal Minds. Devastated is all I can say!

Comments

  1. I am still just watching reruns of Criminal Minds, but I'm sad to know that Shemar will be leaving in a future episode. How can they have that show without him??

    What a fun way to reveal the gender of the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Derek will be back!! Just my thought! I love the way they plan to announce the gender of the baby. How sweet! Here visiting from the link. You have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto on the teen years. People are finding the most clever ways to reveal gender. I guess instead of waiting until the baby is actually here, they get to surprise everyone in unusual ways and then prepare for what the baby is. That waterfall is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm catching up on the HP today, but also popped over to see your happy reveal news. Congratulations on welcoming a grandson into the family! I love the invitations and the clever theme. So cute! Have you seen the commercial on TV where the man walks into a party the family is setting up, and he's grabbed a cupcake from the kitchen en route? He walks into the room with blue icing all over his face and says, 'What? There's more in the kitchen.' It's funny.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a