Skip to main content

I Should Blog ...


Well, hi!

I noticed that it's been two weeks since I have blogged. I could say that it's been because we have been busy, because we have. And I could say it's because Brynne has been hogging my computer on her current Minecraft craze, because she has. But really it's because I have just not felt like putting my words into words. Know what I mean?

We finished our 2015-2016 school year on April 29th. Our last week of school was spent wrapping up our year-long study of WWII watching videos about Anne Frank and the Tuskegee Airmen, finishing up some reading, etc.


We also concluded our enrichment class where we used the money raised from our penny (copper) collection to make May Baskets for the residents of our local nursing home. We snuck out to the home after the residents went to bed and left the baskets for them to find on May 1st.


The class also completed the National WWII Museum's Get in the Scrap program. This was a big accomplishment as we did activities about recycling and energy conservation to earn 100 points.


Our family ran in the annual Girls on the Run 5k this past Saturday.


Then we scooted off to St. Louis for state bowling tournament. After running in the 5k we drove home, showered, then drove 4 hours to St. Louis where the kids bowled 6 games that evening and then 3 more games the following morning. We were exhausted but that weekend is always a lot of fun!


It was the second year in a row that my mother and I spent Mother's Day together in a bowling alley. Then Rick took the kids to City Museum and my mom, Kyndal and I went shopping. We had a really nice afternoon then met back up with Rick and the kids for dinner at Cracker Barrel.




Eli and Brynne bowled excellent! Eli bowled 11 pins over his average tournament-wide and Brynne bowled 30 pins over hers! She even had her first 50 Pins Over Her Average game and received a medal. The team didn't bowl too well all together, but Eli and Brynne killed it!



Kyndal and Collin had their big ultrasound last week and Bennett is doing awesome! He looks perfect, and was weighing about 2-3 ounces over the average. Kyndal is feeling it because he is a very active boy! She is now 22 weeks.


Dawson just finished his second semester of college, and it was a tough one. He had switched his major to computer programming and has learned that this field is definitely not for him! However, he works as a mental health technician at our local behavioral health hospital and has gotten to know the expressive therapist there. He has now decided that maybe that's the field he will work toward: Art Therapy. He is definitely a humanities guy, has always loved art, has always had a heart for special needs individuals, and is really enjoying his job. So, put all that together and you have an art therapist. (Figuring out what you want to do with your life is hard work.)

Other than all of this we have been doing a lot of relaxing, reading, watching Kansas City Royals games on tv, and catching up on shows we have DVR'd. Brynne is in her softball season but rain has cancelled practices and delayed games. Eli is soaking in every minute of our May break from school staying up late and sleeping in, playing video games, and just relaxing. Rick and I are counting the days to our trip to Puerto Vallarta to celebrate our 15 year anniversary.



All is good here! I am planning to get back into a regular schedule of blogging next week. I just needed a little break.

2015-2016 Hours Logged - 1,001 hours out of 1,000 required hours (292 1/4 hours outside home)

Comments

  1. Nicole - totally with you on the not blogging for a few weeks...life just happens! We have 1 computer me and the kids share and Minecraft and Trove seem to up on it more than I am on it..lol...

    Seems like a great few weeks - love the bowling! The kids and I have participated in the Kids Bowl Free program for years now and can't wait to start back up again next week!

    Enjoy your break and Summer!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand needing a little break! Looks like you had a fun Mother's Day -- we love to bowl! :-) Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your trip; my hubby and I celebrate 15 years this month but still have no plans... maybe we'll figure something out soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a