Skip to main content

Oh, Fred, how we have missed you ...


Fred showed back up at our house on Monday. And we were so happy! Dawson did three texts of Life of Fred  last year: Decimals and Percents, Fractions, and Pre-Algebra with Biology. He started Beginning Algebra with the Home Companion yesterday. I love the way it is set up. The text has long(er) chapters than the previous texts. At the end of each chapter there are about 20 questions. Then there are about 5 or 6 "cities" to visit with more practice problems.

Each day you do a lesson out of the Home Companion. It tells you how many pages of the chapter to read in the text and then gives you some practice problems to do. Eventually it will tell you to do the 20 questions at the end of the chapter in the text. Then it will assign you a certain number of cities to visit with practice questions to answer.

There are 108 Lessons. Gone is the argument that there are not enough practice problems. Once Beginning Algebra is completed, we will move on to Advanced Algebra. He should be able to complete both those texts this year. Then he can do a full year of Teaching Textbooks Algebra next year. That will give him, what I would consider, credits for Algebra 1 and Algebra 2. His junior year he can tackle Geometry. Then we'll decide what to do with his senior year .. maybe dual enrollment at the community college to get College Algebra out of the way.

All I know is the stress of algebra is gone now that Fred is back in our home.

Ahhhhh ......

Comments

  1. Ah, Fred. Life is grand, no? Can't wait to check him out once we get to the upper level math.

    Just to let you know, speaking of the "trials and tribulations" you were having last week, I did link a post of yours in my blog post today...and thanks in advance for helping me to prove that totally awesome fabulous homeschooling moms can STILL have bad days. And it is ok. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so curious about Fred now. I'm going to have to bug MamaTea about it when we get together next, because it sounds really cool!

    Way to go, getting back on the horse! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So glad "Fred" is back and you are back with what works for you.

    ... now breathe, Mama! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...