Skip to main content

The Countdown ~ Goals to End the Year


It looks as though we have about 30 days of at-home book school left to do this school year. Dawson has expressed some desires of things he would like to study before the school year is over, so I have planned some fun things for the month of May. We also have some things I would like for us to get done before the end of the school year, so I have made some goals. This has also included a few tweaks to our curriculum.

Brynne

* Complete Handwriting Without Tears Printing Power (one lesson per day)
* Get through Lesson 45 of Copywork for Little Girls
* Get through Lesson 75 of Math Enhancement Programme
* Complete goal of independently reading 100 books
* Get through Lesson 115 of Easy Grammar
* Complete The Secret Garden unit
* Finish 5 more state studies and focus on U.S. Geography


Dawson

* Finish Life of Fred Beginning Algebra
* Finish Critical Thinking book
* Stop Easy Grammar for now and complete GrammarKey Parts of Speech curriculum (next year he will redo the Parts of Speech component for review and then do Punctuation)
* Complete this current unit in American History and two more units between now and the end of April to complete America: The Story of Us
* Do a unit on Knights in the Middle Ages and Renaissance period in the month of May
* Complete the chapter on "Community" in The Way Life Works (not going to cover "Evolution") and get prepared for our dissection unit in the month of May (7 weeks of lessons)
* Complete Driver's Ed course
* Read Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
* Complete three more lessons in IEW and do a research project in May


We have a lot to accomplish, but I am confident we can do it with diligence and hard work! Then we will be on summer break and I'll be planning our next school year with ALL of my kids home!!

(BTW ... it was SO hard to send Eli back to school yesterday.)

Comments

  1. Sounds fun!! I am so excited for you and Eli in the upcoming school year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Dawson wants to do knights, you'll definitely want to check out www.stormthecastle.com and his related sites if you haven't already. Lots of knight related ideas.
    We're making the large trebuchet from it at the cottage this year so we can fling wet sponges out at the diving raft!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a