Skip to main content

Get Ready for St. Patty's


We will study and celebrate St. Patrick's Day a little early this year (like starting today), because we are getting ready to start a 6-week unit on The Secret Garden, and I don't want to interrupt it in the middle.

St. Patrick's Day has always been a special holiday to me. My maiden name is O'Neal. We do not have strong Irish roots, and didn't really celebrate as an Irish family. But I have always felt Irish, a kinship to it! My parents are going on a golfing trip to Ireland in May. I am hoping they will bring us back some fun stuff.


The other reason why I love St. Patrick's Day is because it is my Grandma Alice's birthday. She will be 89 years old this year. Brynne has already made her a St. Patty's pin to wear on her birthday, and I am going to make a gaudy sign to have hung on her door at her assisted living home that says, "Pinch someone today ... It's Alice's birthday!" I also want Brynne to have the opportunity to make her a card and other things so that we can mail them enough ahead of time that she gets them for her birthday. On top of all that, we will be on the road to Florida on St. Patrick's Day, so won't be here to celebrate on the actual day.


Soooooooo ....  I was pleased to see this FREE 5 day unit study from KnowledgeQuest about St. Patrick's Day.


We will use it, and make some recipes I found at Family Fun magazine.





We will also use Homeschool Share's Ireland lapbooking pieces to make our KnowledgeQuest lapbook. (Why reinvent the 4-leaf clover, huh?)


My advice would be to collect your items early, especially if you plan to check books out from the library. I have my books requested now, because I figure they will all be checked out and gone just prior to the holiday.


Enjoy your day, and don't forget to wear green or I'll have to give you a virtual "PINCH".

Comments

  1. Looks like you have lots of fun activities planned! I just had to say that my great grandmother's birthday is on St. Patrick's Day and she'll be 95 this year!! I thought it was neat that your grandmother's birthday is that day too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun so many think st patricks day is a party holiday and it isn't it is a religious holiday in Ireland. :)

    Ireland is so pretty they will have a blast.

    I was named after Shannon Ireland and we have family in County Cork.

    We are having Irish Soda bread and Shepherds Pie.

    You ought to get real Irish Cheese to sample Aldi's has it starting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link! I'd been looking for a little St-Patrick's Day unit!

    I'd love if you'd share how you do the Secret Garden unit, as you go along - it's on the list of books I want to study with M in the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an awesome post! I LOVE St. Patty's Day, also am 1/4 Irish (McShane) and was supposed to be born on that day, but hung on for a few more hours and was born in the wee morning of the 18th. I am intrigued by the sweet pretzel recipe and plan on doing St. Patty's next week with the kids. Oh and welcome to the Crew - I'm your 100th follower!! (I think)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a