Skip to main content

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

Ooooohhhhh how I wish the next two weeks were going to be quiet and relaxing before our school start date of August 18th. No such luck, however. This week is going to be crazzzzyyyy!


In my life this week ... Busy! And, it's the beginning of my 40's. Today is my 40th birthday. So strange.

In our homeschool this week… We'll just try to get in some reading. I am considering having the littles do some math fact worksheets just to get that side of their brains working again.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing… We will be seeing lots and lots of people this week! Tomorrow we are going to the water park (in the a.m., because it's supposed to be over 110 degrees tomorrow). On Wednesday, Dawson and I are working at our church's Back-to-School Mission. Our little church provides backpacks with school supplies, socks, underwear, toiletries, haircuts and clothing for around 800 needy children in just one day. On Thursday, I am enrolling Eli in school, and we are going bowling with some friends. On Friday, Brynne is going to a swim party with some of her former public school friends, and then that evening we are going to my husband's new company's picnic celebration at the zoo. On Saturday, we have our Co-op Back-to-School swimming party. And on Sunday I think I will just collapse.

My favorite thing this week was… having a couple of lunch dates with my husband.

What’s working/not working for us… This heat .. oh, the heat!

Questions/thoughts I have… I have so much U.S. History to still get planned for the school year. I don't know if it's going to be physically possible for me to complete the entire year before school actually starts. I have lessons planned through mid-February.

Things I’m working on… more U.S. History!  And now I only have two weeks to get about four units done.  I am also working on Brynne's birthday party that is on the 13th.

Books I’m reading… Brick Lane by Monica Ali, More Faith in My Day by Emilie Barnes (my daily devotional).

A photo, video, link, or quote to share… 


There is a marked difference between managing a classroom and controlling it. ~ Donalyn Miller, The Book Whisperer.



School takes on many forms in the summer months. Hop on over to The Homeschool Chick to see what it looks like in other homes.

Comments

  1. Yes my friend, you are 40 as of today. But after seeing you last week, I can vouch that you are a "Hot 40 year old" and I don't mean because of the heat. Enjoy this new age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, happy 40th birthday! Guess what? In late December *I* turn 40 too! And it seems harder than turning 30! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Just found your blog now from the link up. You have some great stuff written...looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday! My 40th is coming up in January so I'm right behind you! ;)

    I'm so with you on the heat thing too - these 110 degree temps are so old! ugh!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...