Skip to main content

Math Monday ~ The Number Eating Alligator {Greater Than/Less Than}

Welcome to Math Monday! Cindy at love2learn2day hosts a math Linky on Mondays, so I thought I would start joining in since Brynne will be having a Living Math day at the end of each week.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday each week Brynne does math lessons from MEP (Math Enhancement Programme). But on Thursdays, I wanted to incorporate a day of Living Math. I plan to just see what types of math lessons we do on the first three days and throw in a book and/or some hands on activities on Thursday to reinforce those lessons.

This week we were dabbling in Greater Than and Less Than. Although she mostly "got it", it took me back to my elementary school days when we would draw an alligator mouth with the teeth facing the Greater number. Did you do that??

I searched and found "The Number Eating Alligator". Click here to listen to it.

I also printed off a copy of an alligator stick puppet (found at the bottom of this link). I placed playing cards on the coffee table and Brynne used the puppet to determine which way the alligator mouth should go. Then she would say, out loud, the equation, i.e. 8 is greater than 3, 3 is less than 8.




It was fun and engaging. And, when she was done I gave her a Greater Than and Less Than worksheet with two-digit numbers. She was able to use what she learned to complete the problems.

Go join Cindy for other great math ideas!


Comments

  1. This is super cute. My kids are really into alligators and crocodiles right now. Love when I can teach a skill while engaging their interests. Thanks for sharing. Followed your link on Math Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you able to email or post the template for the alligator?? I clicked on the links but it was not found. I didn't know if you were able to help me or not. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link to the same puppet, but just at a different link:
      http://www.ebookxp.com/b6a99b93a4/Alligator+Page.html

      Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I have also changed the link in the body of my post.

      Have fun!

      Delete
  3. I googled greater than less than puppet and found this site. http://www.intelli-tunes.com/media/files/pdf/Alligator-Page.pdf

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...