Skip to main content

When DNA stands for "Don't No A-thing"

The TOS Cruisers are answering the following question this week: What is your favorite Science Resource?

There are SO many different resources out there! But, what if you have a budding high school student and science is your weak area, or just an area of which you are not passionate? What if your student HATES textbooks, and I mean HATES them (like wanting to chuck Apologia right out the window?)

Well, you build your own curriculum anyway, and you break out in a cold sweat each Sunday afternoon when you are planning that week's lessons. At least that's what you do on the difficult subjects.

Like when it was time to study DNA and Genetics. Clue.less.

Sure, I could read along with him in his The Way Life Works book, digesting the material, dissecting the diagrams. But when it came to making sure he REALLY understood what he was reading and seeing, I had to look elsewhere.

And to the rescue came Learn.Genetics from the Genetics Science Learning Center at the University of Utah.


Life.saver.

This website has been invaluable in our high school level study of DNA and Genetics.

It covers the Basics, DNA to Protein, Heredity and Traits, and Cells. You can build models and do virtual labs. It has a Teacher Resources and Lesson Plans page that gives excellent hands on projects to reinforce what has been learned.


I have blogged about what we have done with this site here and here.

This has been my favorite Science Resource this year. Go see what other Favorites the Homeschool Crew members have, starting on Tuesday. I know you will find something useful! I can't wait to see what else is out there for our use.

Comments

  1. What an awesome resource!! How do you find this stuff?

    Now I need to go through the remainer of our Biology lessons and see what I can plug in! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That certainly looks interesting. I'm guessing that's gonna be a little bit of time before we're ready for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learn Genetics looks like a great resource. Thank you!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Interesting! Thankfully we have a while before we have to cover that. I'm enjoying the simple stuff for know before I'm absolutely clueless : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use this resource in my college class to serve as a refresher or some need remediation for some of my students. I found it when I taught high school!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...