Skip to main content

First Day ~ April




It's time to see, in photos (primarily), how we spent our First Day of April. I am linking up with Nicole at Journey to Josie.

After two weeks off, our Monday morning did NOT start off good! There were tears and grumbles before we even started any lessons ...

 ... so Mommy announced she was going to take a time out for a few minutes so that she didn't get angry.

When I came in, we did some pleasure reading to get our spirits up. That definitely helped!

And so did this ... Dairy Queen opened back up today! We live in a small town and the DQ is a family owned and operated business attached to the front of the original owner's house (just two doors down from my parents). It's a landmark in our town. And we are so excited to get to have our foot long hot dogs, Blizzards, ice cream sandwiches and, mom's favorite, lime Mister Misty floats!!

The afternoon brought more personal reading.

And we measured sticks as one of the activities for our Julia Donaldson unit.

We have begun landscaping! Rick and I created my whole gardening area (in the back) on Saturday, and today  my dad brought over his backhoe and pulled out two huge dead bushes out of our side yard to make room for pretty grass and pretty bushes and flowers.

Eli had Cub Scouts and they collected natural items to imprint into clay.

Then they made clay sculptures. Eli chose snakes.

Despite our rough start, we had a pretty good first day of April. Today is also our cat's 13th birthday. Happy Birthday, Clifford!



Comments

  1. LOVE all the pictures...the kids are growing up so fast.

    Oh yeah...the DQ brings back memories for me too...chocolate dip cones!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics! ahhh now I need some DQ!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DQ!! Mint Oreo Blizzards are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mommy time out picture made me laugh!!! I've been there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

How to Build a Homeschool U.S. History Curriculum from "America: The Story of Us"

FINAL UPDATE (JUNE 2012): We completed our entire U.S. History course last month using the America: The Story of Us video series and the resources I had planned. We officially covered Episodes 1-9 which got us through the 1920's. We plan to use the remaining three videos when we study the World Wars in a couple of years. I just want to go on record as saying that I believe whole-heartedly that the use of this series with my resources would more than qualify your child for a full credit of U.S. History. And, it was exciting and enriching. Feel free to follow all of my lesson plans. You can see them all at this link: http://journey2excellence.blogspot.com/search/label/America%3A%20The%20Story%20of%20Us Update: America: The Story of Us is now available as an InstaStream through Netflix! We also had it available at our local library. If you didn't receive a complimentary copy, you won't have to pay the $30 for it! Many of us received a complimentary copy of "...