Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ A Lack of Pictures


In our regular life this week…

This has been a crazy week. Kyndal was here sick Sunday and Monday. Brynne started softball practice on Monday, and then we went straight to Eli's Scout meeting. Then Wednesday afternoon Dawson and I headed to Oklahoma for a day FULL of appointments on Thursday. Rick and I got a hotel room for Wednesday night while Dawson spent the night at his best friend's. Then he took the day off Thursday to go with me to my appointments. We came back home late Thursday night to a house with NO WATER! The city had apparently made a mistake and shut off our water instead of someone else's who had not paid his/her bill. That was annoying. I got that straightened out first thing Friday morning and then headed off to an appointment with Dawson's principal to work toward getting him his credits for last year's work homeschooling. (I sure hope I don't have to end up getting mad over that situation.) Rick arrived Friday afternoon and then he and I went out to dinner for our "A" date. Don't forget to get out there on a date with your husband and link up! This morning we went to church and then went straight to Lowe's to get the dirt supplies needed for my raised beds. Rick went back to Oklahoma, we ate dinner at my parents', Eli got a haircut, and then I raced home to get my raised beds filled before it started raining.


In our homeschool this week…

We had two full days of school this week, two half-days and a day off. Life was going on this week, and there was only so much we could accomplish.

Bible - We learned all about the 12 spies going into the Promised Land, how Caleb and Joshua tried to convince the Israelites to go take the city, and how God punished the Israelites for their disbelief and disobedience.

Spanish - We took a break from Song School Spanish to start on our new Spanish product review, Spanish for You! It was a challenge to make the change, but it is going really well! Stay tuned for an upcoming review in a few weeks.

Writing - We did more Handwriting Without Tears - Cursive workbook pages and the kids started writing bigger words.

Spelling - We continue to work through Book 2 of All About Spelling.

Math - We worked on 0's and 1's, practiced with our wrap-ups, and played more Math Rider.

Reading - We finished the fourth book of The Spiderwick Chronicles. Only one more to go! Eli and Brynne are reading every day for 30 minutes and each finished another book.

History - We learned about the Vikings Empire (using yet another review product), focusing on their history, Leif Eriksson, and the longboat.

Art - The kids made Viking coins and Eli finished his Pinewood Derby Car for his race yesterday.


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

On Saturday we went to the park for a picnic with a re-forming homeschool group in our town and a neighboring town. There were about 8 families there, with many more that couldn't make it that particular day. The kids really had fun playing with the other kids and I enjoyed talking with the moms. We are just going to limit our group to doing age-appropriate activities once or twice a month, for now. I think we are going to enjoy this.

Then that afternoon Eli had his Pinewood Derby for Scouts. His car didn't place, but he got awarded "Most Original".


A favorite thing this week was…

meeting new friends at the park and the beginning of softball season!


What's in the kitchen this week ...

We are leaving on Wednesday for a field trip to St. Louis, Missouri. (Actually, we are piggy-backing with daddy while he goes to a conference. BUT there is lots to see and do in St. Louis!) Monday and Tuesday we will be having homemade pizza and then goulash. The rest of the week we will be eating in St. Louis. To save money, we will be taking food to eat in the hotel room. And, our hotel has free breakfast and a free mini-dinner each evening. 


What we're reading ...

Mom: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, Becoming a Titus 2 Woman by Martha Peace, Created to be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl, Papa's Pearls by Diane Flynn Keith, The Wrath of Mulgarath (Spiderwick Chronicles - Book 3) by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black (our current read-aloud).

Eli: Captain Underpants (finishing the fourth book) by Dav Pilkey

Brynne:  Rascal and Snowball (Puppy Place) by Ellen Miles


Things we're working on…

our yard, garden, Minecraft Youtube videos (Eli and Brynne), a quick unit study on Lewis and Clark and the Westward Expansion.


I’m grateful for…

a small home and a small yard. Our home in Oklahoma was one acre and SO HARD to maintain. Just to mow it took Rick several hours. We could never keep up with it. It never looked like we wanted. It was just too much! But our new little yard is going to be just what we have always wanted. We started working on cleaning it up on Saturday evening. After a few more weekends we will be ready to put down some new grass seed and plant bushes, flowers, and the like. It will be so pretty and enjoyable to maintain!


I rewarded my kids this week by…

giving them a "reading-only" day on Friday. We had some regular-life issues that interfered with our day, so I let them read instead and get ready for daddy to get here.


Things you might have missed at Journey to Excellence ...


A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…

Source



We are happily linking up this week at the following sites:







Comments

  1. Even without pictures, your posts are interesting. I loved Debi Pearl's book. I tried to recommend it once on a homeschool board and the moderator removed my post. Like anything, sift through the information with a well informed mind and heart, and take from it what is good, true, and beautiful. It was a life-changing read for me. (In a good way.) I hope Kyndal's doing better! Great week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a