Skip to main content

Ketogenic - Becoming My Norm


I have been on a full Ketogenic diet for a week now.

I am not sure I can call my version of the diet truly Ketogenic. I am not sure my carb levels are low enough to actually be kicking me into ketosis. And I am not going to be one that checks my ketosis levels with a meter or testing stick every day. I am not that bonkers about it.

But I do know that I have adjusted my carbs down from my normal 40-50% daily to 10-15% daily! And that is HUGE! In fact the past two days I have been closer to 10%.

I am not going to lie. It took some adjusting.

1. I had to get over the detox headaches. Yes, I was definitely addicted to carbs and sugar because I had a raging headache for a couple of days and slept horrible. But I am beyond that now.

2. I have had to make adjustments for the drastic decrease in magnesium and potassium that a low carb diet entails. I was having jittery legs at night and even caught myself right before I had a full-on leg cramp. So I am taking a magnesium citrate supplement once a day. For the potassium I am just making sure I eat enough of high-potassium foods to get my levels up. Honestly, by doing this I am eating about the same amount of potassium I was eating before, maybe even a tad more because I am so conscious about it. My go-to foods are sliced mini-portabella mushrooms, eggs, cauliflower, unsweetened almond/coconut milk, a banana before I go to bed, and I am using Morton Lite salt which is half sodium and half potassium.

3. I shoot for about 20 grams of carbs a day and then allow myself a small banana at night before bed which gives me another 20+ grams of carbs. If I can keep my carbs at around 50 grams a day I feel like I have been victorious!

4. I have spent a lot of extra time in the kitchen. But that has been mostly prep work. I wanted to have things already prepared and in the fridge or freezer so that when I am hungry I am not tempted to grab something easy (which is usually a carb). Yesterday I even froze some puree'd very ripe peaches (with water and stevia) in ice cubes so that I can use them to make a peach syrup to eat with cream cheese pancakes. The kids love having pancake and bacon nights and now when we have that I can have my own version, too, already pre-prepped.

5. For me the name of the game is not to deprive myself! This week I have successfully modified several of the family's regular meals to meet my needs. That way I am not cooking two separate dinners every night and pining away at the meals they are eating.

On spaghetti night I had zoodles with turkey meatballs and grated parmesan cheese.


Another night I had mini pepper chicken nachos while they had regular beef and tortilla nachos.


I got to have pizza by making a cream cheese pizza crust that was amazing so I had my favorite mushroom and onion pizza with no sauce (I don't care for the sauce anyway) with shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheeses!!


Today I had cauliflower rice for the first time to make a chicken, shrimp, and mini colored peppers stir fry. It's better than real rice, in my opinion. More flavorful!


Tonight I think we will have those pancakes and bacon. (I can have lots of bacon!)

6. In this quest to low-carb I have decided to just cut out ALL grains. And I mean all grains. I have been grain free for one week! And, I am missing them less and less. I am reading Wheat Belly Total Health by William Davis, M.D., to bolster me in that resolve.

7. I have also cut out all added sugar. I use stevia for any sweetening I need to do. And it's enough.

I am not out to lose weight. At all. My goal is to quit providing my cells with excess glucose and to rid myself of my carb and sugar addictions.

So far, so good!!

I'll let you know how those pancakes turn out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a